3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Brightest headlights???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
ccgRAMrod
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brightest headlights???

I want to put some new headlights in my truck OEM nothing else and no blue lights. I was wondering who makes the brightest factory replacement bulb?

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
DragonHemi

I've really like Sylvania Silverstar's in the past, before HID's. They're bright, but nothing compares

Old 08-17-2010, 05:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^^^ Agreed.

But i would spend the 50-75 and get HIDs.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 PM
ccgRAMrod
Professional

What brand HID?

Old 08-17-2010, 06:06 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Any brand will work. Get a kit off ebay and a set (or two) of 50 watt load resistors from ebay and call it a day.

There are more than a FEW threads on this. Dont take it the wrong way but we get a lot of noobs with HID questions so there is plenty of info out there on it but I will sum it all up for you

Our trucks PCM and FCM read a resistance measurement through the headlight and tail light bulb filaments. When a filament blows the resistance drops and this lets the PCM/FCM know a bulb is out and two things happen here.

1) the modules reduce voltage and
2) the Lamp Out on the dash comes on to notify the driver

So because HIDs are gas filled and not a filament type bulb, when you plug them in the PCM/FCM module does not see "bulbs" and those two things stated above happen.

But because the voltage has been reduced, the HID kits will normally strobe or flicker.

The OEM filament type bulbs are 55w/65w bulbs. One the headlight harness plugs there are three wires. There is the low beam (12v), the high beam (12v) and the common (-).

So my taking 50 watt load resistors and adding them onto the HID harnesses, we can used them to replicate the resistance needed to trick the PCM/FCM into thinking there are bulbs there and that will reciprocate the two issues stated above. In other words, full voltage will be supplied and no Lamp Out light on the dash.

Specifically, the resistors get wired as such. We know there are two ends to each resistor and there are three wires on each headlight. Take one load resistor and splice it to the low beam (12v) wire and the other end to the common (-) wire. The other resistor goes with one end spliced to the high beam (12v) wire and the other to the same common (-) wire.

I think this covers everything.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM
tsnyder
Professional

I have had piaa white extreme blue plus 4k in both my rams there a 55w bulb but output is 85w normal beam and 110 highbeam u can get them for rams driving lights also. iv had them for over a year now and they got a 1 year waranty. but pricier than silverstars

Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 PM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Any brand will work. Get a kit off ebay and a set (or two) of 50 watt load resistors from ebay and call it a day.

There are more than a FEW threads on this. Dont take it the wrong way but we get a lot of noobs with HID questions so there is plenty of info out there on it but I will sum it all up for you

Our trucks PCM and FCM read a resistance measurement through the headlight and tail light bulb filaments. When a filament blows the resistance drops and this lets the PCM/FCM know a bulb is out and two things happen here.

1) the modules reduce voltage and
2) the Lamp Out on the dash comes on to notify the driver

So because HIDs are gas filled and not a filament type bulb, when you plug them in the PCM/FCM module does not see "bulbs" and those two things stated above happen.

But because the voltage has been reduced, the HID kits will normally strobe or flicker.

The OEM filament type bulbs are 55w/65w bulbs. One the headlight harness plugs there are three wires. There is the low beam (12v), the high beam (12v) and the common (-).

So my taking 50 watt load resistors and adding them onto the HID harnesses, we can used them to replicate the resistance needed to trick the PCM/FCM into thinking there are bulbs there and that will reciprocate the two issues stated above. In other words, full voltage will be supplied and no Lamp Out light on the dash.

Specifically, the resistors get wired as such. We know there are two ends to each resistor and there are three wires on each headlight. Take one load resistor and splice it to the low beam (12v) wire and the other end to the common (-) wire. The other resistor goes with one end spliced to the high beam (12v) wire and the other to the same common (-) wire.

I think this covers everything.

where do you locate the resistors? i know they can get crazy hot

Old 08-18-2010, 02:32 AM
donjohnk
Veteran

Originally Posted by bigpappaholt
you aint kiddin.. my buddy messed with me and told me to move them off the bumber frame and only had them on for a few seconds.. they stuck to my fingers!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:08 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by bigpappaholt
These are where mine are. They are not around anything else they can touch.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Dunno207
Professional

Just get you some 6000K HID's it'll be a bright white. Once you go HIDS you never go back.

Quick Reply: Brightest headlights???