1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signal/brake light wiring from scratch

Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 AM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal/brake light wiring from scratch

Hi all,
My '75 W200 project truck is in need of all new wiring. NONE of it is there. The only wires that are connected to anything are the sparkplug wires. Soooo...

I'm trying to find a cheap/easy way to rig up some turn signals and brake lights. I know there are kits I can buy but they're expensive. So what are my options? This will be a Michigan plow truck, so its doesn't need to pass any inspections, but it does need to work. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:22 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a wiring diagram from your local libraries computer for your vehicle. JC Whitney sells spools of wire and wire loom pretty cheap. With harsh winter use I would coat all splices exposed to the elements with 3M Scotchkote P/N 054007-43906.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM
CSXfan
All Star

I'm not looking to redo the stock wiring. I'd like to just mount a "on-off-on" toggle switch for the blinkers, but I'm not sure how to wire the running lights in with the brakes and the blinkers so they all work together, know what I mean? I'm talking seious ghetto rigging here, but I'm not sure where to start.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:53 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

this is fairly simple. the turn signal light bulbs have 2 filaments. one is bright and one is dull. the dull ones is for marker lights when you are driving and the brighter ones are for the turn signals. all you need is a couple of on of switches and a 3 position switch for the turn signal. the flasher goes between the battery and 3 position. then 2 wires go from the 3 position switch, 1 to the right signal and 1 to the left signal. some how you will also have to tie these 2 wires into the brake switch.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
some how you will also have to tie these 2 wires into the brake switch.
And that's where I run into trouble. First of all, the brake switch doesn't work, and second, I have no clue how to wire it all together to work properly. Anyone have a wiring diagram I can look at?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:09 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i was looking at the brake light switch on rock auto and it looks like hooking up brake lights should be simple. there is 2 input and 2 output power connections. the only one that i think matter are the output ones that run to the brake light/ turn signals. the inputs should be able to share a power wire from the battery.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 AM
SEAL
Champion

CSXfan:
I am learning how to use my new scanner. The only way I know to get a wiring diagram to you is by e-mail. If you will PM me your email address I will try to e-mail the diagram.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:22 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by SEAL
CSXfan:
I am learning how to use my new scanner. The only way I know to get a wiring diagram to you is by e-mail. If you will PM me your email address I will try to e-mail the diagram.
PM sent, thanks

i was looking at the brake light switch on rock auto and it looks like hooking up brake lights should be simple. there is 2 input and 2 output power connections. the only one that i think matter are the output ones that run to the brake light/ turn signals. the inputs should be able to share a power wire from the battery.
My problem is how to make the turn signals flash properly with the brakes applied. Every way I wire it it ends up making the brake lights flash all the time, or not at all. I must need some kind of relay but I don't know enough about how they work to know where to put it.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:39 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

On original equipment the power for brake lights goes thru the turn signal switch. That where the right and left get separated. Plain old toggle switch ain't gonna do it.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:10 AM
SEAL
Champion

Here is a column mount turn signal switch that might help. There is a wiring diagram at this site.

http://www.vintage-planet.com/switch-5007r-upi.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn signal/brake light wiring from scratch