Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Dodge Journey rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
dsharp89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Journey rear brakes

Having some issues changing the rear brakes on a 2009 Dodge Journey. I can't seem to relieve the brake pressure when using the c-clamp on the caliper. Is it different than changing the front brakes? I had no problem with the front brakes.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:44 PM
dsharp89

Just figured out that I need a special turning tool and that I should be able to find it at my local auto parts store.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:12 PM
dpendley44

I'm having same problem. What is the tool? What do I ask for?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

Originally Posted by dsharp89
Having some issues changing the rear brakes on a 2009 Dodge Journey. I can't seem to relieve the brake pressure when using the c-clamp on the caliper. Is it different than changing the front brakes? I had no problem with the front brakes.
If I remember correctly you need to turn the piston back into the caliper. I hope you didnt use the c-clamp on them, you run a risk of damaging the caliper. I dont recall what the technical term for the tool is, but they come in two types one goes on a 3/8 drive socket they work so-so and be be purchased for about $10 the other costs between $50-$200 depending on the quality of it this one sits in the caliper and works similar to the tool used to collapse the piston, it would be cheaper to use one of those "free loaners" from the parts store. This is what you need:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=SER41541_0055339452

Hopes this helps

Last edited by rare aries; 09-21-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
dsharp89

Sorry, I am just now replying, but I ended up going with the cheaper version and getting a turning tool for the piston for around $12. It fits on my 3/8 socket and did eventually turn the piston. I say eventually because it was not a perfect fit. The tool is basically a cube and has different sizes depending on the groves in the piston. I found the closest size, although it was not a perfect fit, and used it. I probably will look for one that fits better next time. I got the tool from AutoZone and I am pretty sure any auto parts store would have it.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

INSTALLATION

NOTE: Perform Step #1 through Step #7 on each side of vehicle to complete pad set installation, then proceed to Step #8 .

CAUTION: Anytime the brake rotor or brake pads are being replaced, the rear caliper piston must be seated (bottomed) to compensate for the new brake rotor or lining. Because the parking brake self-adjuster mechanism is attached to the piston, a special seating method is required. The only acceptable method is by rotating the piston back into the bore using Retractor, Special Tool 8807, as described below. Any other seating method will damage the self-adjuster mechanism.

1. If necessary, seat (bottom) the caliper piston in the bore as follows: a. Assemble a 3/8 in. drive ratchet handle and an extension.
b. Insert the extension through Special Tool 8807–1.
c. Place Special Tool 8807–2 (1) on the end of the extension.
d. Insert lugs on Special Tool 8807–2 into notches in face of caliper piston.
e. Thread the screw drive on 8807–1 down until it contacts the top of 8807–2 which is against the caliper piston. Do not over tighten the screw-drive. Damage to the piston can occur.
f. Turn 8807–2 with the ratchet, rotating the piston in a clockwise direction until fully seated (bottomed) in the bore. It may be necessary to turn 8807–1 with 8807–2 to start the process of piston retraction.

2. If caliper adapter was replaced, install caliper adapter bolts (1) and tighten to 100 N-m (74 ft-lbs).

NOTE: There are two different abutment shims. If installed in wrong orientation, pads will not fit properly.

NOTE: If the brake pads have a protective paper on the rear face of the brake pad plate, it must be removed before pad installation.
3. Assure adapter abutments are free from debris or corrosion. Apply an even layer of Mopar© Brake Lubricant or equivalent to entire area of four abutments PRIOR to shim installation. Install four new pad shims.
4. Place the brake pads in the abutment shims clipped into the disc brake caliper adapter bracket.

CAUTION: Use care when installing the caliper onto the adapter bracket to avoid damaging the guide pin boots.

CAUTION: When removing or installing a caliper guide pin bolt, it is necessary to hold the guide pin stationary while turning the bolt. Hold the guide pin stationary using a wrench placed upon the pin's hex-shaped head.

5. Install the disc brake caliper over the brake pads on the brake caliper adapter bracket.
6. Align the caliper guide pin bolt holes with the adapter bracket. Install the upper and lower caliper guide pin bolts. Tighten the guide pin bolts to 35 N·m (26 ft. lbs.).

7. Install tire and wheel assembly. Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts to 135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.).
8. Lower vehicle.
9. Pump brake pedal several times to ensure vehicle has a firm brake pedal before moving vehicle.
10. Check and adjust brake fluid level as necessary.
11. Road test vehicle and make several stops to wear off any foreign material on brakes and to seat brake pads.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 PM
SFaughn78
Default huh.......not so special tool

You don't really need to go buy a special tool. I was able to use a basic everyday pliers and coming at it 90 degrees so the plier ends fit into the grooves. A little bit of pressure while twisting it in worked extremely well. But maybe someone has the need to buy a special tool. I figure my husbands beemer has to have special tools that cost way to much, I can go without if at all possible.....

Old 10-16-2012, 03:06 PM
miozzo

the name of this tool is called a "disc brake piston tool"

Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur

No tool needed. you can use pliers or needle noses opened up and pressed into the grooves.

No need to spend money.

Quick Reply: Dodge Journey rear brakes