1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HOW TO INSTALL FRONT SHOCKS ON 03 Durango?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:41 AM
DJDURANGO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool HOW TO INSTALL FRONT SHOCKS ON 03 Durango?

I am going to install the front shocks on my 2003 Dodge Durango 4w 4.7 any tips? / Do I need to measure or balance the shocks?

Do I have to do an aligment to the car after I install the shocks?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Answer to question 1: No
Answer to question 2: No
Answer to question 3: No

It is fairly straightforward.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

You should be fine.....I replaced mine in about two hours for all four.......Spray some WD 40 or PB Blaster some sort of penetrating oil on the bolts about 24-48 hours prior to the removal that should help out with loosening.

Rears are just unbolt/and bolt. Start at top first that should give you more room to work the lower bolt and flexibility.

Fronts: I find mine easier with tires removed...it gives you more leverage for the upper nut. If not removed then turn tires full left for driver side and full right for passengers side.

Wrap a cloth around a set of good pliers and hold the strut while loosening the nut. This should protect the strut from getting gauged. Not as critical on the shock coming off but definitely critical on the new strut. After the strut is installed don't forget to slide the dust boot around the collar to keep debris/dirt/grease off the strut.

If they arent Bilstein's then return for Bilstein HD'S and start process over again....LOL!!!

Good luck!!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:48 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

best thing i found was when your about to put in the new shock compress it all the way and tie it down with a chain or something so it stays compressed. then fit it in correctly and remove the chain then the shock should uncompress back into the fittings. then just tigthen the bolts back and your good to go.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quality shocks (like Bils) come pre-compressed with a band holding them down. Install and cut the band. Done.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most shocks I have ever seen you can compress them by hand just fine for install. It's the coiled shocks or struts that need compression for install.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the last set i put on my truck came pre-compressed with a band on them (i used monroe reflex) like indy described

Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

NOTE: Following information is for Bilstein HD shocks.....manufacturers and models may vary but shouldnt be that far off. Even if the shocks arent banded in the container they should not be that difficult to compress....just takes a little bit of steady pressure and some muscle.

My Bilsteins are a one piece unit. Strut housing and strut.....The strut bolts to upper mounting bolt.. the other end...the shock tower (yellow part) to the lower mounting point. Mine also came banded and compressed. I installed the upper portion then got the lower portion close to the mounting point then cut the wire. Once it is close you can re-compress the strut to fit the lower portion of the mounting bolt. Slide bolt through starting from outboard-inboard....The nut and bolt threads should be facing inboard. This may not be necessarily for safe operation but it makes the installation uniform and should be no questions for future replacement. I removed them with bolts facing inboard and installed them the same way. One end of the dust boot should be ziptied to the strut tower. The other end needs to be slid over the collar at the top of the strut. Basically with correct installation the dust boot should be on the top... strut tower on the bottom with bolts facing inboard.

Front: Basically same.....lower bolts facing inboard..... upper portion should be like this.

Strut...washer..bushing...thread through upper mounting point....then bushing....washer...nut....tighten.....remember to wrap the strut with a protective towel over the teeth of the channel locks while tightening the upper nut.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO INSTALL FRONT SHOCKS ON 03 Durango?