Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Replacing Inner Tie Rod ends

Old 02-13-2010, 07:33 PM
HibsMax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Inner Tie Rod ends

Hi, Group.

I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT and I want to replace the inner tie rod ends. I have a knocking from the front end and I know it's not the outer tie rod. My Haynes manual doesn't seem to even acknowledge that my car has them so it's no help (unless they go by a different name). I tried a couple of searches and most of the top links take me right to websites that want to sell me parts, not show me how to do the job or tell me what I need.

Before you ask, "Are you sure it's the inner tie rod ends?"....I think so. This is slightly embarrassing but someone told me it was the inner tie rods but I forget who it was. It might have been someone at NTB but I have forgotten. Once I get under the car I'll give them a good push / pull to see if that's where the knocking is coming from.

So I'm looking for a website with instructions or if someone here can tell me that's cool too. I suspect it's not that difficult but I know that some jobs need special tools so that's the sort of thing I want to find out first.

Thanks in advance, Max

Old 05-15-2010, 06:53 PM
aint2old

I don't think it's your tie rods---I've had the same advice and it didnt cure anything.
I've noticed some loose play in the rack steering shaft that might be the culprit but i've also heard rumors that the control arm bushings wear prematurely.
It's a shame we have to cure dodge's engineering mistakes !!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:24 PM
SlyMagmumRT
Unhappy Dodge Magnum inner tie rod issue or is it the rack?

I have a 05 RT with the same problem, unsure if its the inner tie rod(Drivers side) or is it the rack Im guessing its the rack. Love the car but way to many issues.60,000 miles Thank good I purchaced the after market warrenty. Dodge better get there S*IT Together. Thought they already had when Merc. was part owner. Guess they let there quality control go to S*it. OK I feel better. Somebody let me know what they find out.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:28 PM
mlrtwo

I have the same noise, I found the outer tierod ends worn but was told by a mechanic at the dealer that the noise is the Tension strut. chapter 10-5 section 4 in your Haynes.
I replaces the tierod ends & still have the knocking noise.

Ted

Old 09-07-2010, 07:12 PM
cabletvc

just had tention struts and and swaybar links replaced. This is the fix for me.
dealer only parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Inner Tie Rod ends