2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing a filler neck

Old 09-17-2010, 11:10 AM
ludothegreat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a filler neck

I need to replace my fuel filler neck on my 95'. I am new to all of this, but have confidence that I am able to change it myself with the right guidence. I ordered my neck, but only received the part. No clamps, hoses, or any extra hardware. My current setup has been cobbled together by the previous owner and I am assuming has little or no original parts on it as it looks like a rubber washing machine hose and some Duck tape.

Before I get started on this, I am just wondering what other hardware I m going to need once I get under there, assuming I need to replace it all. The tank itself looks pretty solid as does most of the tubing after the neck.

Any tips or suggestions would be great as well.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran

if you need new tubing you have to get a special kind. goodyear makes it i know. you will also need 4 hose clamps, 2 smaller, 2 larger. im not sure the exact size.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The tubes connect to the tank with a couple short pieces of hose and some clamps. Open the fill door and you'll see screws that hold the top of the filler tube . Remove the tape and clean up things as best you can, so you can have a better view of what the PO did.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:23 PM
ludothegreat

What is the hose that will be needed? Is it just the fuel grade stuff you can get from say Napa? Also, will I need to drop the tank in order to do this? It looks to me like I will not, but I better check because the closest place I can find new straps at is Quebec Canada and mine will not survive... Wisconsin winters have taken a beating to the entire underneath.

Last edited by ludothegreat; 09-17-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your straps are that bad it might be a good idea to fix them before they break and you dont have tools around or the time, you can unbolt the bed and then lift up the drivers side until you have enough room to work without dropping the tank

Old 09-17-2010, 05:30 PM
ludothegreat

I have straps on back order, but they will not be in for who knows how long. Is a necessity that I will have to drop the tank or raise the bed, or is it just going to make my life easier?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I did not have to raise the bed or drop the tank to do the filler neck. Just slide the hose over the neck farther than need be, install the neck and slide the hoses back over the tank.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 AM
ludothegreat

That's what I like to hear, thanks for the help guys!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:39 PM
ludothegreat

Finished the replacement, a lot easier than I thought. Most of the old hardware was usable. I just replaced the clamps. Thanks for the help again!

Here is what I took off the truck:
Name:  yOFM4s.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  1.9 KB

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that the smaller tube, assume its for air flow of some sort, was just cut off with a piece of rag zip tied to the end of it.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Isn't it nice that the two most important parts as far as safety goes (fuel and brake line related) are among the most common if not the first things to fail on these trucks? Nice job they did huh?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing a filler neck