3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stuck Front Hub

Old 09-19-2010, 01:53 PM
BigWoody
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Front Hub

So my pass side front wheel bearing died and I am trying to replace the hub assembly. This puppy is stuck in there. I have tried a slide hammer now for 35 min and she is not budging. Please tell me I don't need to remove the whole knuckle and take it in to get removed? I just replaced lower Ball Joints and tie rod ends.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

Yeah if i remember correctly there are three 15 or 18mm bolts that hold it in. they are on the back side of the knuckle. Once you take out the bolts the hub will slide out. If you have the right tool you should be able to take the hub off without removing anything except the cv axle if its 4 wheel drive. I usually take it off but if you dont want to, i usually but not all the time can get a socket with a ratchet in there. I'll see if i can get some pics for you.

What model is your truck? Is it a 4x4?

Last edited by badblackram06; 09-19-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:20 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

I think this was a Fabtech knuckle for a 4x4 but its basically the same if you have a 2wd

Name:  129_0506_07_z2005_dodge_ram_suspensionknuckles.jpg
Views: 3645
Size:  52.3 KB

Last edited by badblackram06; 09-19-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 PM
BigWoody

Its a 02 4X4. I had the knuckle off as I had to replace the lower ball joint and also the tie rod end. I took the 3 bolts out and this damn thing is not budging at all. I have sprayed sea foam on it like 4 or 5 times including the back side trying to penetrate it. Think if I used my propane torch I could heat it up a little and then see if the slide hammer will pull it out? I don't see how a press puller is going to draw it out either.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
HemiRam1566
Veteran

i just did my left front hub... the speed sensor went.. i had a hoist to do it on so it did make it easier.. it was very hard to remove all corroded and seized in.. take a small chisel hold it with vise grips and hit it with a hammer to get it in between the hub and the knuckle once its in use a larger chisel to separate it more then take a BFH and hit the hub till it pops.. clean the knuckle service and the inside where the bearing sits with a file and re assemble.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:02 PM
BigWoody

Originally Posted by HemiRam1566
i just did my left front hub... the speed sensor went.. i had a hoist to do it on so it did make it easier.. it was very hard to remove all corroded and seized in.. take a small chisel hold it with vise grips and hit it with a hammer to get it in between the hub and the knuckle once its in use a larger chisel to separate it more then take a BFH and hit the hub till it pops.. clean the knuckle service and the inside where the bearing sits with a file and re assemble.
Thanks for the reply that is what I am going to do tomorrow. Just as a fyi if you have not looked check your left front brake hose from the caliper to the hard line. Mine was corroded and almost fell apart when I started taking things apart. All I have left now is the new hub and then I have almost a whole new front end suspension parts LOL.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im glad I didnt have these issues when I pulled my hubs or rotors off.....

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
MongoDV8
Professional

A trick I learned from the diesel forum is to loosen the bolts and back them out about a turn or two. Then put any combination of socket and extension on one bolt at a time and start the engine and turn the steering wheel until the socket / extension comes in contact with something solid. This will push the hub assembly from the back.

I used this on my 2500 4x4. It eventually broke loose.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
brettj2408
Captain

what i have had to do is use air hammers and chisels, etc.
what i found to work best is loosen the bolts about 1/2" then while its still in the air put the wheel back on and kick it back and forth on each side for more leverage.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
BigWoody

Well I have banged on it with a chisel and 4 lb sledge hammer and it is a slooowww process. I think my propane torch is coming out tomorrow evening to get the damn thing off. I guess from all of the snow this winter and salt that came with it the thing is welded to the knuckle. Funny thing is that the drivers side is no where near as bad. I just don't want to have to pull the knuckle back off but it might just come to that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck Front Hub