1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1996 Dodge Neon Fuel Pump Problems - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Neon_Mike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge Neon Fuel Pump Problems - Please Help!

Hello All!

I am having a problem with my 1996 Dodge Neon.

It starts really rough, and will suddenly die until it warms up. It seems like its not getting enough fuel to the engine. When driving I can barely get to 30mph. and if you put the pedal to the floor it just dies. The only way I can drive it right now is to lightly feather the gas pedal and slowly get up to speed.

Here is a little back story with my fuel pump.

I have had the fuel pump replaced 3 times by a local mechanic. The first pump was defective from the manufacturer and the mechanic had to change it right away before I picked up the car. After he it the second time, I drove it for about 2 weeks and then it just died in a parking lot. Couldn't get it started at all. Banged on the gas tank and then she started right up. MY mechanic changed the fuel pump once again, (this is the third one!) and it everything.

It has been about 1 month since my last visit to the mechanic. I recently ran right out of gas, (My instrument cluster works sometimes, and was lying to me about how much gas I had) and since then, I have been dealing with this extremely sluggish driving, almost like there is no gas going to the engine.

Could this be simply due to a clogged or dirty fuel filter?

Checking my trouble codes, I received a CODE 42:
Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range.

and CODE 51:
Fuel system lean ( this code came up when I ran out of gas)

Its a 1996 Dodge neon SOHC, with a plastic gas tank.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I know this car is on its way out, but aside from this fuel delivery problem she runs great, and I can't afford another one yet.

Thank you in advance
Mike

Old 09-14-2010, 07:17 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Fuel Pump

Before spending a lot of bucks, buy a bottle or two of HEET, Water Out,Dry Gas and drop in the tank, the issue may be a simple as condensation or water in the fuel. The conditinos you describe surging, inability to accelerate cutting out are also symptoms of water in the fuel, give the dry gas products a shot they are cheap.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Neon_Mike

Thank you vabear, I appreciate your input. I will give that product a try!

To update: I put in a new fuel filter this evening, and I am still having this issue. But I noticed a different sound when I was under the car. When you cycle the ignition on and off you can hear the pump build up the pressure in the system,(which is normal) When I turn the key back off I hear a gurgling and bubbling sound coming from the gas tank. Is this due to a leak in the fuel line ? Its my next fix that I am thinking about.

Thank you for all of your help,
Best regards,
Mike

Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Neon_Mike

Hello All,

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate your professional advice.

The first 3 pumps were not OEM. I am towing the car to my mechanic today and Will be installing an OEM Bosch Fuel Pump. That comes with a 1 year unlimited KM warranty. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix.

My Mechanic thinks that there is something electronically wrong with my car that is frying my Fuel pump. He thinks that either in the relays or wiring harness the amount of voltage that is going to the pump may be too low and that is causing it to heat up and fail prematurely. Is this possible? If so, how can I fix my wiring issue?

Thank you for all of your help!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:07 PM
sapporo
Banned

you need a better mechanic. the gauge not working properly is directly related to the installation of the "new" pumps

maybe someone doesn't like you and is pissing in the tank or something.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Neon_Mike

Hehe, No this mechanic is a good guy, I just think he was using el cheapo parts to save me a buck. And I am pretty sure no one is pissing in the tank either.

About the gauges, its a Neon/Chrysler issue with the instrument cluster. There is a fix for it on this site, but I need the car running before I go any further.

I am installing a new OEM Mopar pump at $500 this week and will update everyone once the work is complete. Fingers Crossed!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM
sapporo
Banned

I'd go to the JY and get a used one out of a wrecked car. I've never heard of someone having a perpetual rash of fuel pump failures

Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sapporo

maybe someone doesn't like you and is pissing in the tank or something.
Reminds me of something I saw in a movie once.

LOL @ 1:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pElJ3...eature=related

Last edited by TNtech; 09-22-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:59 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Wasn't there an issue with the upsteam O2 sensor wires getting a short from being constantly rubbed and when it bumps into something, it shorts out the fuel pump? I seem to recall that being on one of the threads at one time....

Just wondering.

Just checked. The fuel pump fuse blows. So unless that is something else that is happening, that is most likely not your problem.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 09-22-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Updated

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Neon Fuel Pump Problems - Please Help!