3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacement key without dealership?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 PM
DaytonaDakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement key without dealership?

Just stopped at the dealer to get a second key for my 06 1500. And was quoted 200 to 300 bucks. I've seen blank bodies and others on eBay. Is there a cheaper way to get an extra remote key. Or even a blank

Old 09-21-2010, 01:34 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

You can get a key from ebay. If you have a key fob already in use the factory manual(the one that came with your truck) tells you how to program the new key fob. If you don't have a key fob in use you will not be able to program it yourself, it will have to be done by the dealer. Hope this help! Good luck....

Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 PM
pousaan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this true? Have you ever done it?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:52 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

I have not done it because i have two key fobs. But when your battery dies you have to re-program the fob and the manual tells you how to do it. It is the same: new battery or new key fob. Check your owner's manual (page 17, i think) and it will you directions on how to do it....

Last edited by dakota_raven; 09-21-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:00 PM
The Bull
Professional

Home depot can make them now if you have a key that is programed Its about 60 bucks i think

Old 09-21-2010, 02:10 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Beats paying the dealer 300.00 for another key...

Old 09-21-2010, 03:31 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a difference between the fob and the key. If you have only one security key, you'll need a locksmith or the dealer to make a working security key. If you have two security keys, you can add one yourself.

If all you need is a fob, you can get them off eBay for $15-$30 (make sure the FCC number matches the existing fob). Then you can use the working fob to add up to three more (I believe - that's for my '03). I have four working fobs, but I don't have the security system, thankfully, so the $2 from Lowe's is sufficient.

In either event, the O/M will show you how to proceed.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Schmeezie
Rookie

Lowes will not do inteli-keys trust me I tried. Goto a walmart that has a key making station. The only charge like $60-$70 and they do inteli keys

Old 09-21-2010, 04:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My local Ace Hardware made me a second key for my Grand Cherokee. The key is "chipped" and they had no problem. They insert the key into some type of tester and if it lights green, they can copy it. Cost me $60...

Old 09-21-2010, 04:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, let me shed some light...

Your 2006 Dodge Ram should have the fobb part connected to the key. It's one ginormo key. Those are fairly expensive(~$80) and you can get a basic Sentry II key(no locking function, just a plain key) with the chip in it for $20 on ebay. There's a problem with programming it. In order to program ANY additional key to your truck is to have the Original 2 keys that were programmed from the factory. If you don't have 2 factory programmed jeys, you will need to go to the dealer or a locksmith might be able to do it? You can still save from the dealer by purchasing your own key and having it cut and simply going to the dealer or locksmith for them to program it to your truck.
Also, if the local store cuts it wrong, you'll need to order up a new one. Just heads up.

As far as the fobb losing it's interaction with the truck ecu is not true. Fobbs are built using micro chips that store the frequency indefinately or until written over. They need no battery to keep their info. Same deal with the truck losing it's power and removing the battery. Everything is retained. There are no programming issue's to worry about. clock and radio are part of volitile memory(RAM) and not flash memory.
I unplugged my battery like 15 times and completely drained the system and never had any issue's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement key without dealership?