1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dual Battery set up

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Magoo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Battery set up

Anyone running dual batteries? Want to add winch, A/C, Fridge, etc and I don't see any room where the stock battery is located.

Spare is going to Kennesaw Mountain carrier bumper, so that whole area is available. Thinking of mounting the A/C on the frame there, w/some type of skid plate or metal box to keep clean. AZ, so rust not an issue.

What are your thoughts? Too far?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mount in rear or in cubby. Make SURE ventilation is correct.

With that said, just use the stocker in the stock place and call it a day. Manage the power on and off, running the vehicle to maintain the battery. Wasn't designed for two batts.

IndyD

Old 09-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Magoo
Rookie

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Mount in rear or in cubby. Make SURE ventilation is correct.

With that said, just use the stocker in the stock place and call it a day. Manage the power on and off, running the vehicle to maintain the battery. Wasn't designed for two batts.

IndyD

Good catch on the ventilation - didn't think about exhaust pipe heat or heat generated from battery or A/C. I guess that leaves the driver's side or center. Do you think mounting a ventilated box to the underside with access from the top down through interior cargo area will be of concern?

Thinking about cutting off the spare tire support so I don't have to work around it. Need room for A/C, tank, and battery - 1 big space would be nice.

Last edited by Magoo; 03-19-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

why are you adding a second a/c compressor to the truck? and how are you planning to drive it all the way out back???? (its possible i misunderstood what you are doing, if so please elaborate)

and you also need to consider what youa re going for w/ the second battery, more runtime w/o running the engine? or move volts? (i assume you just want more runtime, meaning wire the batteries in parallel[+ to + and - to -], which would mean you want the batteries close together im sure its possible to find more space in the engine bay for a second battery)

Old 09-19-2010, 11:31 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

The 2009 Gen2 Durango Hybrid had the battery mounted under the vehicle basically in a so-so cage under the driver's side feet/door.

IndyD

Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Magoo
Rookie

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
why are you adding a second a/c compressor to the truck? and how are you planning to drive it all the way out back???? (its possible i misunderstood what you are doing, if so please elaborate)

and you also need to consider what youa re going for w/ the second battery, more runtime w/o running the engine? or move volts? (i assume you just want more runtime, meaning wire the batteries in parallel[+ to + and - to -], which would mean you want the batteries close together im sure its possible to find more space in the engine bay for a second battery)
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse with any existing equipment in the engine. A/C = air compressor as in on-board air compressor for running air tools, maybe lockers or welder as time goes on.

Plan is to build the vehicle for off-road use in remote areas of the southwest. Not the best vehicle of choice, but its what I have. Second battery for running the accessories and for safety in case the primary fails.

Can't honestly answer your question on exact setup of the batteries as I am not up to speed on the correct terminology yet. Seems like qalculating usage will take some time.

Wasn't sure about the location - I guess that was my primary question to see if anyone had done this yet. I don't see any room in the engine bay for another battery. Maybe if I added a snorkel ( will have hard time finding one for this vehicle I'm sure) and eliminated the air box. I've seen Jeeps that had a second one in the same area as the original - room was gained by turning sideways. But the 4.7 is tight, and fuses are right up on the battery now.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First you have to find a place to mount the battery. Once you have done that (which I would do in the rear) you have to vent it to the outside pererably on the drivers side. I would install a dry cell battery for this application if inside the truck and in case of roll over.

Next you would have to run battery cables from the motor OEM battery connections to the acc battery with red to positive black to negative just like OEM.

Next you would have to place a diode (there are ones made for this application) into the red (positive) lead before you connect to the OEM battery (so it is in the middle of the cable). The diode can be a inline or you can place it in a box like the PDC is. What the diode does is let power only go in one direction. You want power to go to the acc battery but not back to the OEM battery.

Next run you set up from the acc battery as you wish.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

I personally would not mount potential "spark" next to the "fuel." Not a good idea/combo to mount it under there in that place.

IndyD

Old 09-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Magoo
Rookie

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
I personally would not mount potential "spark" next to the "fuel." Not a good idea/combo to mount it under there in that place.

IndyD

Yeah, thought about that earlier and its been bugging me ever since. I would have to build a box that would be sealed from the front and sides, and vent to the back.

Another concern if I read correctly, once I run cables to the rear I have to run them back to the front for the winch? Or maybe just the air accessories will be off the acc battery with the winch off the main. Still trying to understand electrical - woodworker by trade.

Speaking of work, my Isuzu NPR has dual batteries mounted to the frame under the driver's side door. Checked the Durango earlier and there seems to be room in the area of the brake cable. With a 3" body lift there will be more room, but wasn't really wanting to go that far yet. Current set up 31s with T/S planned, 32s when due.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you place the battery INSIDE the cab in it's made sealed box and vent to the pasenger side then you would be ok. If you vent to the rear then the air back pressure from the truck moving forward will stuff the vent and possibly vent into the cab.

Personally, if your going to do this I would pull the OEM air box, re-route the intake to a custom job and place the battery up front. Then run your outlets where you want. As long as you hook up the batteries up like I said (with or without the diode) you will be fine. You just don't wanna hook them up in series to make 24 volts instead of 12 volts.

Quick Reply: Dual Battery set up