Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Caravan PCM help

Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Nate218
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Caravan PCM help

I have a question about a 2000 caravan my dad has and trying to help him out cause he is 79 years old and I dont want dealer overcharging him for whatever. He has engine light on so he took to dodge dealer and they did diagnostic. They sed mil command on and p0601, internal controller failure, PCM right?. They wanted $700 for it and not installed. So can I find him one cheaper and is it hard to get programmed once installed? The van is a base model fwd and need to know what years parts can fit with this van.

Thanks for any help
Nate

Last edited by Nate218; 09-27-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: info
Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would go to the front counter and ask how much a reman controller. Install it at home and have it towed to the dealer and have them program the controller or i think there is a web site that sells the controller alreay program. But i don't know the web site,i think some of the other members may know.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Nate218

OK Thanks, my dad says the van is running fine so he not sure what it could be. He got a waiver on inspection but will have a year to get light off before next inspection due.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 PM
barrios35

Nate,

Go to ebay. Just bought one off Auto Computer Exchange. They program it and everything. They will need your VIN#, engine size, mileage and part number.

They have a website but it is more expensive through their own site then ebay.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:47 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair warning on Auto Computer Exchange. The first one I got from them set a bogus code. Absolutely no problem in them sending me a different one. When I received it, I then returned the old one.
The second one is now setting code P601 which is supposed to be a fatal error. While the van is still running ok, ACE won't do a simple exchange. I have to send the old one in(obviously disabling the van for some period of time) and then they return a different one. Since we're 1100 miles from home right now with only one vehicle, their policy isn't too appealing right about now.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:58 PM
barrios35

Originally Posted by mfahey
Fair warning on Auto Computer Exchange. The first one I got from them set a bogus code. Absolutely no problem in them sending me a different one. When I received it, I then returned the old one.
The second one is now setting code P601 which is supposed to be a fatal error. While the van is still running ok, ACE won't do a simple exchange. I have to send the old one in(obviously disabling the van for some period of time) and then they return a different one. Since we're 1100 miles from home right now with only one vehicle, their policy isn't too appealing right about now.

Thanks for the input. Just installed it so not sure on future reliability. The factory one obviously sucks too.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Nate218

Thanks so much for replies, I will look into and see what I can find. I have to make sure its the ecm and not some other module, trying to get name or part # from dealer he took van to. They sed part he needed was $700 so they must know name or part # to get price.

Last edited by Nate218; 09-28-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: more

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Caravan PCM help