3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vents Only Blow Hot On Passenger Side...

Old 10-01-2010, 02:14 PM
JonnyBlaze420
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Vents Only Blow Hot On Passenger Side...

Apparently this is another common problem??? Seems like the more I start replacing stuff on this truck, the more wrong I find with it. Argh!!!

And I should mention that I also have the "AC doesnt work at idle" issue, which I read on this forum meant that the condenser fan was junk. So I bought a new one but havent replaced it yet.

So what do I need to do to fix this heater issue? Some say heater core needs to be flushed, some say door actuators? Dash has to come out either way???? Is this true???

Maybe its time to sell the new truck.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If your getting heat through any of the vents, it's either ambient engine temp and your core is clogged or you have the common blend door problem.
Condenser fan could be the problem or it could be that your condensor itself is beginning to get clogged. it's generally the fan that is of issue 90% of the time.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:19 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good for you for getting the condenser fan. As for the heat, I would think it would be the blend doors

Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 PM
JonnyBlaze420
Professional

Yeah, I'll replace the fan this weekend and see what happens. Oh boy.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:54 PM
JonnyBlaze420
Professional

WHAT A BIOTCH!!! Fan assembly done. Works good now.

NOW I gotta figure out why its still blowing cold on drivers side and hot on passenger.

Last edited by JonnyBlaze420; 10-02-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:24 PM
AaronOregon
Rookie

Same exact issue with heat barely blowing on driver side. Passenger side good though. Been putting it off, but winter is coming...................

Aaron

Old 10-03-2010, 05:55 PM
ntaramorris
Default I have the same problem discovered last week.

When trying to use the "Heat", I have cold air on drivers side and hot air on Passengers side. Air starts hot for a second and turns cold when fan is on high.

MY truck is 02 RAM 1500 4x4 w/ 4.7 engine.

I am very interested in what you do to trouble shoot, diagnose and repair this problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-03-2010, 06:07 PM
trapperdan
Angry Heater core replace it

You got your work cut out for ya. I started removing the dash two days ago. I have all the bolts and screws out and still can't get the darn thing to budge. My Ram did the same thing leaked coolant on to the carpet.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:33 PM
JonnyBlaze420
Professional

Originally Posted by trapperdan
You got your work cut out for ya. I started removing the dash two days ago. I have all the bolts and screws out and still can't get the darn thing to budge. My Ram did the same thing leaked coolant on to the carpet.
Mines not leaking coolant.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:41 PM
AaronOregon
Rookie

Originally Posted by ntaramorris
When trying to use the "Heat", I have cold air on drivers side and hot air on Passengers side. Air starts hot for a second and turns cold when fan is on high.

MY truck is 02 RAM 1500 4x4 w/ 4.7 engine.

I am very interested in what you do to trouble shoot, diagnose and repair this problem.

Thanks,
Jeff
Same exact issue up until today, but I got it fixed!! I put a post on here a couple weeks ago about a gurgling sound in my heater core where it sounded like air was trapped in it every morning when it was cold for the first 10 minutes. I was sure it was the dreaded blend doors. Well, today I pulled my dash plastic off (only takes about 15 minutes to pull the plastic) and checked everything and it all worked and looked great. From there, I put it all back together and went to the engine compartment. I was convinced either I was partially clogged in the heater core or there was an air pocket in there. I pulled both of my heater core hoses off half way up the block on the passenger side (you will see where one is spliced and the other goes into a "T" fitting). I hung one down at a time and blew water through it both directions full blast pressure with a water hose. Water flowed great so I knew I didn't have a clog. At this point, I raised both of the hoses as high as I could get them and poured antifreeze in a hose until it came out the other hose. I knew I had no air in there at this point. When it flowed out the other hose with it way up in the air to, I capped them with my thumb and reinstalled them on there fittings. I topped off the bottle, started the truck, left the cap of the bottle until the thermostat opened and it blows hot air again like it should. The radiator was replaced back about 4-5 months ago and it just had some air that was trapped in the heater core. I was totally happy because winter is coming fast! Good luck........

Aaron

P.S. I did change my reservoir tank a few days ago because it was leaking around the neck. This may have been drawing in air as it was cooling. Not sure, but it's as good as new now!

Last edited by AaronOregon; 10-03-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vents Only Blow Hot On Passenger Side...