4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noisy lifters???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:46 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy lifters???

Well still getting used to my new, ('10) 1500. As I am recovering from shoulder surgery not using it on a daily basis. Anyway, a couple of days ago the wife and I went fror a ride. The truck had sat for 7 days without being started. I got in, started it and the lifters started clattering like crazy. The clicking noise went away in about 15-30 seconds. Come to think about it, the first truck I test drove did the same thing at startup. Is this normal???

Old 10-09-2010, 02:50 PM
OhioChuck
Rookie

Our truck (2010 Laramie CC 5.7 Hemi) did exactly the same thing last night when I backed it out of the garage. Had been sitting about a week between starts. I've had some engines over the years that had noisy lifters after sitting for a while, and some that didn't. My Dad always said it's because the oil drains out of the lifters and just takes a bit for the oil pump to refill them. I've never had any engine problems as a result, just sounds bad.

Chuck

Old 10-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Bigbody
Professional

yes they all do that after sitting for a while untill the oil gets flowing good they knock and even after they will still do it lightly, known as the hemi tick. When i test drove my truck i started it and walked around and it did it for a min or two, my 07 did the same thing.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:26 PM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a lot of research on our new hemis and one of the cons are bad lifters. The oil pressure is good on the new hemis...it is the lifters alone that need extra help for the fix. The fix is to change to the 6.1 or after markets lifters and or increase your oil pressure with either a high pressure relief valve spring or high volume pump or both. All or any one of these is said to stop the lifter tapping. These crappy 5.7 lifters bleed down to run in 4 cyl mode and have serious issues when cranking your motors after a long rest, cold temps, or close to oil change time.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:41 PM
rhulm1
Amateur

I noticed ticking noise from mine for the first time on Friday. It ticks for about 2-3 minutes on a close enigine, then quits when it warms up. Did it all weekend. It's so bad that my wife even noticed the noise and said "what's wrong with your truck". I have about 18,000 miles on the truck now and it's almost due for an oil change. Taking it in tomorrow to the dealer to see what they think.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:36 PM
USAF1
Professional

As it's the lifters that control the MDS, or more exactly, make the MDS work, maybe that is part of it as these are not normal hydraulic lifters like most other engines. Sounds like its inherent in the design......

Old 10-11-2010, 06:17 PM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhulm1
I noticed ticking noise from mine for the first time on Friday. It ticks for about 2-3 minutes on a close enigine, then quits when it warms up. Did it all weekend. It's so bad that my wife even noticed the noise and said "what's wrong with your truck". I have about 18,000 miles on the truck now and it's almost due for an oil change. Taking it in tomorrow to the dealer to see what they think.
Truth be told...it stops when they pump up with oil! You will also notice a rough idle while tapping that smooths out after they pump up and begin to run on all eight cylinders. And when you change your oil, it won't do it for another couple of thousand miles or just before the next oil change.

Last edited by 1954Radio; 10-11-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Wilbur Indy

Oil filter. Mine was doing this for a long time. I got a premium oil filter (Mopar) and it no longer does it, well, have a serious knock now due to valve spring failure ('03) But the cheaper filters let the oil bleed back down from the valve train due to cheaper and weaker anti-flowback valves and springs in them. Change the oil and upgrade the filter, don't really want to go cheap here anyways, after all, it's the life of the motor right? Hopefully this helps some of you guy's with cold start up clatter, it cured mine. There is probably a sticky about the filter somewhere here, not sure. If not probably should be.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbody
yes they all do that after sitting for a while untill the oil gets flowing good they knock and even after they will still do it lightly, known as the hemi tick. When i test drove my truck i started it and walked around and it did it for a min or two, my 07 did the same thing.
You are close to being right there..

The infamous Hemi tick is not from a chattering lifter, but rather, it's valve rattle. I know I know, splitting hairs at this point, but the issue still remains that the Hemi tick will still be audible even when the motor is at operating temperatures and the oil pressure is up.

The chattering he's talking about is simply from the hydraulic bleed down and yes, once the pressure pops back up, the noise goes away.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 PM
danno5069
Professional
Default Premium Filter

Originally Posted by Wilbur Indy
Oil filter. Mine was doing this for a long time. I got a premium oil filter (Mopar) and it no longer does it, well, have a serious knock now due to valve spring failure ('03) But the cheaper filters let the oil bleed back down from the valve train due to cheaper and weaker anti-flowback valves and springs in them. Change the oil and upgrade the filter, don't really want to go cheap here anyways, after all, it's the life of the motor right? Hopefully this helps some of you guy's with cold start up clatter, it cured mine. There is probably a sticky about the filter somewhere here, not sure. If not probably should be.
When you say premium Mopar filter, do you mean stock filter or do they actually sell a premium filter. I have always used factory filters on any vehicle I have owned, the factory filters are twice the weight of the aftermarkets.

Quick Reply: Noisy lifters???