4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

The complete story on the Trailer Brake Controller on 2010 Models.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 PM
my05_hemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile The complete story on the Trailer Brake Controller on 2010 Models.

1st some background. I work for a large mid-atlantic dealer group. We have a number of Chrysler stores. I work in information systems so I know all the parts and service managers. We have some very good ones so on this project I had some good help (:

Truck is a 2010 CC Laramie Build Date 11-09. Everything I have read state this will NOT WORK for a 2009.

At first I thought it did not have the 2nd connector that has been talked about in other threads but the 2nd time I looked and felt around indeed it was taped very tightly to the top on the bundle.

Looks good so far..

The part numbers we ordered were;

Controller 56029431-AF this is the latest revision of the controller. When ordered with special handling we received it in 4 days.
Tan Bezel 1EB13DK2-AA I don't know the part # of the gray one.

Installed and as others have noted the unit works as a normal controller.

However we took it a few steps further.

We went into DealerConnect. Some of you might know this is the on line access that the dealers communicate with Chrysler. In the service section there is a place that dealers can add any dealer installed options. One of the available options is "DEALER INSTALLED INTERGRATED TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER". The option code for this is "XHCA". Some options are just for info, such as side steps and some actually modify the software load for the vehicle. This is the case for option code "XHCA".

The next step is to download this updated program into the truck. This is done with a dealer tool called WiTech. The procedure is called "VEHICLE PREPARATION". It connects to Chrysler computers and downloads the modified software load for the vehicle. It then uploads this modified load into the vehicle.

Once this was complete there was a new screen in the EVIC VEHICLE INFOMATION SECTION called "TRAILER BRAKE".
In this screen is a icon of a trailer like the one on the controller, a number showing what you have the boost set to (if thats what it's called) and the bar graph like the one on the fuel economy page that shows the percentage of total braking power at any one time.
When the trailer is disconnected it shows a slash across the trailer icon.

One further note. Unless my truck already had the two what I'll call "mystery modules" spoke about in prior threads they don't exist.

Of course your mileage may vary and I am not responsible if you trash your 30 to 45 thousand truck. (:

Old 05-20-2010, 10:02 PM
njsurfmaster
Amateur

That's great information! Wish it could be done on an '09.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 PM
TI 3VOM
Veteran

I will be calling my dealer about this. That would be great to have it fully functional. I have tried tracking down the "mystery modules" to no avail. I hope this works!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:42 PM
yotaman96
Rookie

My truck is going in for service tomorrow. I will see if they will look into this since I installed the controller. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:44 PM
TI 3VOM
Veteran

Originally Posted by yotaman96
My truck is going in for service tomorrow. I will see if they will look into this since I installed the controller. Thanks for the info.
Post your results.... the wife is taking the truck out of town for the next couple days, so I won't be able to get in. I would love to hear a second success story!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:37 PM
cyberbiker
Thumbs up

I had mines in this morning for an oil change and tire rotation. Read this post prior to as I was planning to install my brake controller today and wanted to review the installation instructions posted previously. Glad I did as I spoke with the service advisor and got them to install it, and setup the new option in the software for $49. Seems to work great! I have not hooked up to my trailer yet but when I squeeze the controller levers that would activate the trailer brake w/o using the truck brakes, it pops up a trailer image on the EVIC indicating no trailer is attached. So far so good...

Old 05-22-2010, 08:28 PM
TI 3VOM
Veteran

Hot damn!! I gotta get in to see the dealer.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:49 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

How much were the parts?

Old 05-23-2010, 02:23 PM
cyberbiker

On the parts, I got the controller and bezel a couple of months ago. Paid, as I recall, around $175 with tax.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM
TI 3VOM
Veteran

Yeah, you aren't looking to save money going this route, just get a nice clean install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The complete story on the Trailer Brake Controller on 2010 Models.