Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

ESP/BAS Light

Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 AM
kellygirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP/BAS Light

Hi,

I had to go to the dealer to replace the Diamond Kote Rust Inhibitor waste of money that I purchased as it was defective, after they replaced that
My ESP/BAS light came on, I brought my car 08 Charger back to the dealer. They replaced steering sensor, $400.00 I left the lot, the light came back on. I returned to the dealer, after checking all day and speaking with their techs, they came up with steering column control module $655.

Part is back ordered. I left the lot light did not come on for about 2 weeks, now it comes on and turns off sometimes. Now the wipers came on and will not turn off even when I turn the car off, I have to take the fuse out to turn them off.

My question is would this be related to the control module?

Thanks for any input,

Kelly

Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like my Jaguar. Took the dealer 3 months to fix it (thank god it was under warranty) and 6 months later it happened again. Fxed it and weeks later it happened again. Everything inside and out were just coming on and going off whenever they wanted. We ended up selling the car on a day it was working ok.. LOL!!!

Now that I have you scared, YES it can be that control module along with SEVERAL PCM updates that they will do. No you won't have the same problem my Jag had, but funny to tell it. LOL!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:39 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kellygirl
Hi,

I had to go to the dealer to replace the Diamond Kote Rust Inhibitor waste of money that I purchased as it was defective, after they replaced that
My ESP/BAS light came on, I brought my car 08 Charger back to the dealer. They replaced steering sensor, $400.00 I left the lot, the light came back on. I returned to the dealer, after checking all day and speaking with their techs, they came up with steering column control module $655.

Part is back ordered. I left the lot light did not come on for about 2 weeks, now it comes on and turns off sometimes. Now the wipers came on and will not turn off even when I turn the car off, I have to take the fuse out to turn them off.

My question is would this be related to the control module?

Thanks for any input,

Kelly
What was the code that turned on the ESP light? I would advise you to go to another dealer.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 AM
kellygirl

I do not know what the code was? Do you think the wipers would be related to this whole issue?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Ramfd

My wife called me one morning and told me after driving over somerailroad tracks her wipers came on and would not shut off, even with the car turned off and key removed the the wipers stayed on. I removed the relay and it shut off the wipers. once i replaced the relay with a new one the wipers were fixed. THEN, she tells me at a later time that the ESP/BAS light comes on while turning and stays on till she turns the car off. after looking into it a bit more the light will not come on right away but usually after making a turn usually a low speed turn the light will come on along with the traction control light that indicates the system is off. I have not yet mess with this problem. I wonder if replacing the relay will fix this too.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM
8319policepackage

I am having a similar issue. I have a 2009 Charger Police Package. The ESP/BAS and Traction Control light will come one at random times, often when I am sitting still in park idling. I turn the car off and then back on, the lights will go off, but then check engine light stays on. I cycle the car again (off/on) and all three lights stay on and the squares that light up around the gear letters (to tell you which gear you're in) will all light up along with the manual shift box that has the number 8 appear in it. I took it to Spring Dodge near Houston, TX and they were ABSOLUTELY no help. Asked them to flash the computer and they looked at me like I was nuts and said that I needed to provide them with the flash number for my car. They tried to blame it on my equipment installs (lights, siren, and computer) but when they inspected the entire wiring harness they discovered no flaws on my part. ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

@ Ramfd - What year is your Charger? Unless you have a 2010, there probably is a program update that will fix your problem. Take it the dealer and have them check it.

@ 8319 - Your dealer is a dope!!! LMAO!!! Your police installed options have nothing to do with the computer that operates the car. All your accessories are on a separate system. The reason that I say your dealer is a dope is that they are asking you for the program flash. They should know this. Did they even hook your car up to the computer to see what codes are being stored? If your check engine light is on, there is a code. I guarantee it and Dodges have 100's of codes that can tell you what is going on. There is a list in a thread at the top of this section. Check it out. Just to see the amount of codes that are out there.

I bet it is safe to assume that the dealer that you went to is not a 5 STAR Dodge dealer. Goto Dodge.com, do a dealer locator search for your area, and take your car to a 5 STAR listed dealer. These are the dealers that really take care of their customers.

You can also take your car to most auto parts stores and they have code readers that they will run on your car for free. Get the codes, come back here to the forum and check out the thread that I just told you about to see if it is something major. EVERY STOCK PART ON DODGES ARE TIED TO THE COMPUTER. Even the radio controls.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:14 AM
8319policepackage

***UPDATE***

I went to a private mechanic today who plugged a HUGE Bosch computer into my car. He found 18 engine codes that had been thrown. One of the codes is from the Radio CAN Interface. I installed an after market Sony radio a few months back but did not install the Radio CAN Interface to go with the radio. Both the mechanic and Mobile One (Radio accessory installers) told me that the missing Radio CAN Interface can cause a large number of miscommunications with the majority of the CANs that are used in many vehicle *especially* Dodge vehicles. I did not have any problems prior to the install of the after market radio. I will be installing the Radio CAN Interface this weekend and see what happens! Wish me luck!!!!

@ L and R - I can only assume that they did hook my car up to a computer. It doesn't make sense to me either since the computer they would have hooked it up to has a cute little button on the main page of the program that says....you guessed it....FLASH UPDATE! I can only assume that they are allegedly a 5 Star dealer since they are one of the largest Dodge Chrysler Jeep dealers in the Houston Area and since I can't seem to find that information on their page or any other Houston area dealers page. But one thing is for sure...my next Charger patrol car will come from a different dealer. And yes they are dopes but I have to admit that my words to them were no where near as nice LOL.

Oh I almost forgot...I don't have all 18 codes but one thing they all had in common was that they were all communication lost codes for each area that had thrown a code.

Last edited by 8319policepackage; 01-13-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Ramfd

I have an 08, i will be going to the dealer for an update i guess, thanks.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Hmmmm, just went over to dodge.com and it appears that they have dropped the rating system. Shows you when the last time I have been there. LOL!!! Oh well.

@8319
Once you get the bypass installed this weekend, take the car back to your guy and have him clear the codes. Installing the bypass will not get rid of them, they will sit there until cleared and possibly cause problems. If the check engine light ever comes on again, get the codes read quickly. If you wait, the early codes can cause new codes later and then you or dealer won't know where to start looking for the problem.

@Ramfd
While you're at the dealer, if you have the navigation, have them update that too for you. LOL!!! Not needed, but might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ESP/BAS Light