3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Pinion Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 PM
PDodson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Pinion Seal Replacement

is this very hard to replace, i believe mine is leaking because a buddy of mine was looking under my truck (at my air lift susp) and he noticed that my rear pinion seal was leaking

should I attempt this myself or take it to a shop? also I need to change my differential fluid i was reading in another post that I use 75w-90 my question is do i need a diff cover gasket when i take the diff cover off?

Old 10-17-2010, 10:23 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

There are a few posts here giving step by step info on how to change the pinion seal. It seems like a pretty straight forward job, but if mine should start leaking, at an average of $100 to have a shop do it, I will opt to forego the hassle. Do a search on "pinion seal". I just changed my diff fluid today myself. The rear on these trucks call for 75w_145 synthetic, with friction additive for limited slip units. The front on 4 wheel rigs take 75w-90. No gaskets on diffs, use hi temp rtv to reseal. Don't know how much the front takes, but the rear takes just over 2 quarts.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 PM
PDodson
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
There are a few posts here giving step by step info on how to change the pinion seal. It seems like a pretty straight forward job, but if mine should start leaking, at an average of $100 to have a shop do it, I will opt to forego the hassle. Do a search on "pinion seal". I just changed my diff fluid today myself. The rear on these trucks call for 75w_145 synthetic, with friction additive for limited slip units. The front on 4 wheel rigs take 75w-90. No gaskets on diffs, use hi temp rtv to reseal. Don't know how much the front takes, but the rear takes just over 2 quarts.
hey man I just noticed you are in southern Louisiana....I am in Baton Rouge where abouts are you?

I have a 2wd ram, and i am not sure if I have the limited slip in mine or not....i will call a shop a friend gets all hos work done and he trusts them.....

Old 10-17-2010, 10:33 PM
bigpappaholt
Veteran

i had mine done it was 100$ with 1 year warranty

Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Same exact post a few days ago...lol I was like wait a minute. I thought I already answered this guy.

Anyways, look HERE Specifically POST #6

75w-90 for light duty and 75w-140 if you do any towing. I use Permatex 1-Minute gasket maker. it's in a can that dispenses like whip cream. it's a littl epricey but fantastic stuff. been using it for years. it's a bolt and fill immediately where as standard RTV needs time to set up before filling and tightening down the cover. This permatex stuff sets up real quick. it's black in color btw.

Oh, you need Synthetic fluid as well for your diff. You'll need 2 bottles(2qts) and one small 4oz modifier if you have LSD, if not, then 2.25qts of diff fluid. (1/2" below filler hole)

Last edited by dirtydog; 10-17-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm....good one there Dirty. I like that post.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

Originally Posted by PDodson
hey man I just noticed you are in southern Louisiana....I am in Baton Rouge where abouts are you?

I have a 2wd ram, and i am not sure if I have the limited slip in mine or not....i will call a shop a friend gets all hos work done and he trusts them.....
I live in Houma, roundabout 2 hours from ya. There should be a sticker in your glove box that lists your options. It will say "anti spin" on there somewhere if you have LSD, should be around where it says "Corporate 9" referring to your axle.

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I use Permatex 1-Minute gasket maker. it's in a can that dispenses like whip cream. it's a littl epricey but fantastic stuff. been using it for years. it's a bolt and fill immediately where as standard RTV needs time to set up before filling and tightening down the cover. This permatex stuff sets up real quick. it's black in color btw.
This is some awesome stuff. I read where you posted about it before and when I was picking up the oil to do my fluid change I bought some. It is a bit pricey but not having to wait around for the rtv to "skin" over is well worth the extra $4 bucks or so. Just have to move quick to get that cover on within a minute. It started skinning where I started by the time I got all the way around the cover lol.

Quick Reply: Rear Pinion Seal Replacement