1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango 4WD linkage

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 AM
hmd40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango 4WD linkage

The linkage from the 4 wheel drive shifter to the transfer case in my 2000 Dodge Durango has become detached. My understanding is this should just pop back in but I cannot see where from underneath. Right now the shifter just moves freely and it appears to be stuck between 2 and 4 wheel drive as the truck make a grinding sound when I try to move it.

How do I pop it back in and can I do it myself?

I posted on this topic previously and have now narrowed it down to this.

Thanks

Hal

Old 01-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2000 Durango 4WD linkage

I re-checked the book and the only thing i see happening is the bolt in the shift rod (Trunnion) loosening up. If the other side of the rod became disconeected it would be hanging and you wouldnt be able to grind the gears, both sides should be secured by retaining washers if im not correct. I know mine does but that might be because of body lift, but check it at the transfercase. You should be able to do it yourself.

heres a quick draw of the shifter rod that connects your shifter to transfer. Scanners useless so please bare with me http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...ion/trun-1.jpg

Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a plastic/rubber type grommet that was part of the linkage replaced on my floor shifter for my 4WD linkage. the grommet worn out and make it difficult for me to shift in/out of 4WD.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 PM
bigbaddurango
Professional

I had the same problem in my 2000 the awd like mine is diffrent but my bolt fell out of linkidge make sure it is in park when trying to get it to shift it might be in 4 low

Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 AM
gcjoe

I have the same issue. I believe there is a "keeper/gromet" where the shifter linkage attaches to the transfer case that wears out. Mine is completely gone, so my shifter is completely detached. I think I found a Service Bulletin that addresses this, TSB# 212199. I am going to my local dealer at lunch to get the parts I need. I'll post back with more info today or tomorrow.

To the OP: I was in 4wd when my linkage came loose. I just crawled underneath and flipped back in to 2wd at the transfer case. You may be stuck between 2wd and 4wd.

Last edited by gcjoe; 01-13-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:07 PM
gcjoe

The grommet did the trick. I removed the shifter lever from the side of the transfer case, installed the the new grommet, popped the linkage back together, & then reinstalled the shifter lever to the side of the transfer case. It was really easy & only took about 20 minutes from start to finish, & I'm on the slow side with a wrench.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Chronic01505

This thread might be old but I am having difficulties with this whole shift linkage deal. I just replaced my transfer case and I'm unsure on how to retune this shifter. I have read lots of different things but right now even in 4L it displays 4w part time and in 4w part time it still displays 4w part time. The manual shifter pops out of 4wd when I try to put in 4wd. I crawled under there to look. It see the Trunnion or whatever its call its got a bolt on it... and I see the shifter on the transfercase that may be my problem that something in this linkage may have worn it. It all rusty but any advice on how to correctly set this because right now the vehicle wont even move.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is directly out of the 1998 Durango Service manual on your NV231 Transfer Case.

ADJUSTMENTS
SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
(1) Shift transfer case into 4L position.
(2) Secure shift lever in 4L position. Use wire, or
tape to hold lever in place if necessary.
(3) Raise vehicle.
(4) Loosen lock bolt that secures shift rod in
adjusting swivel (Fig. 83).
(5) Make sure shift rod slides freely in adjusting
swivel. Lube rod and swivel if necessary.
(6) Verify that transfer case range lever is in 4L
detent.
(7) Center pin on adjusting swivel in shift arm and
tighten lock bolt to 10 N·m (90 in. lbs.) torque.
(8) Lower vehicle just enough to enter vehicle. Be
sure all wheels are off shop floor. Then start engine,
shift transmission into gear, and shift transfer case
through all ranges to verify correct adjustment.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:45 PM
quinn

Just wanted to drop a note and say thanks. Just had my shift rod fall off the D while I was driving to the lake to pull the boat out of the water to store it for the winter. No grommets to be found anywhere so I'm sure they rotted out and were long gone.

Went to Dodge and picked up the parts (O'Reily doesn't carry the shift rod so I stopped looking elsewhere) and fixed it in about 45 minutes from start to finish - those grommets are a bitch to install!!! I ended up using a flathead screwdriver to push them through a little at a time and that worked very well.

Anyway, thanks for the info! This is at least the second time this site has helped me get the D back in working order without a trip to the shop.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 PM
dodged4x4
Default where can i get a new 4wd shift linkage

will my local dodge dealer carry it and i have new bushings

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango 4WD linkage