2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle u-joint replacement HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
spitfireram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle u-joint replacement HELP!

Im going to replace my passenger side u-joint.....any advice, pictures, part numbers would be great.... greaseable or not?? Do I need to buy anything else?

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L

Thanks

Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BE VERY CAREFUL sliding the shaft through the seal! since your not replacing the seal its kind of hard to clean the axle tube good, so there is a pretty good chance that the shaft will pick up some dirt on re-entry. its kind of a hit or miss as to whether or not you'll damage the seal or not. i would say dont bother trying to scrape the dirt out of the tube as you'll just knock it loose and heighten the chances of contaminating the seal.

get greasables from napa. be sure to knock the c-clips out under the caps. they should come off fairly easily. sit one cap side on a socket that is larger than the cap itself and set the two ends of the shaft on 4x4's while using a socket that is slightly smaller than the caps to hit the opposite side cap with a dead blow. repeat till all caps are out

be sure

Old 10-25-2010, 04:00 PM
JAPR

You might want to plan to replace the oil seals as well. I replaced the front axle U-joints, was carefull as I possible could be with reinstalling the axles and now have puddles of diff oil every morning. Was hoping that it was just oil that had leaked out when I pulled the axles, but not so lucky.

Another weekend, another project!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Originally Posted by JAPR
You might want to plan to replace the oil seals as well. I replaced the front axle U-joints, was carefull as I possible could be with reinstalling the axles and now have puddles of diff oil every morning. Was hoping that it was just oil that had leaked out when I pulled the axles, but not so lucky.

Another weekend, another project!
That turns an afternoon project into a weekend-long ordeal (or more, for those less familiar). Driver side requires carrier removal, and, the passenger side seal is a B**** to install without the right tool (I use a piece of 3/4" fine thread grade 8 all thread and a seal driver I turned on my lathe).

I don't recommend changing them unless they leak.

As the first response said, just be very careful reinstalling the shafts. Try to keep it supported all the way in, so it doesn't scrape the tube and drag that debris into the seal.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:17 PM
spitfireram
Rookie

THANKS for the info....what do u think a shop would charge for the u-joint replacement? I know I could probably do it....but it never seem to go that easy.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran

I was quoted 750 for both Ujoints (passenger and driver) hope that helps from a local shop.

The Ujoints are an easy fix, but you'll probably decide you want to do the seals too. Look carefuly to make sure they aren't bad- run a few miles on bad ujoints, and the seals will get destroyed

Old 10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
I was quoted 750 for both Ujoints (passenger and driver) hope that helps from a local shop.
Jeebuz!!! We're not the cheapest game in town, and do them for less than half that parts and labor. It's 2.6 hours plus the two joints ($25-$60/ea at list price depending)

Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by spitfireram
THANKS for the info....what do u think a shop would charge for the u-joint replacement? I know I could probably do it....but it never seem to go that easy.
with THE RIGHT TOOLS its really not that bad.

if your gonna do the seals order the seal installer from quad4x4.com. its a must have if you want a perfect install on the first try. not to mention full color step-by-step instructions. the seal installer makes the passenger side seal extremely easy (no carrier removal required). you do have to remove the carrier for the driver side though.

Im guessing the u-joints are bad, right?

Old 10-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sixtysixdeuce
Jeebuz!!! We're not the cheapest game in town, and do them for less than half that parts and labor. It's 2.6 hours plus the two joints ($25-$60/ea at list price depending)
I was quoted about 3 hours each (total 5.5-6 h), at 90hr, thats almost 600 right there, plus the Ujoints, and diff fluids, cand to 725 or so.

CarX is 85 an hour, and also quoted me about 3 hours each. I'm in the midwest too, normally stuff like this is cheap.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixtysixdeuce

I'm not trying to start trouble here, but your shop can do both side's in 2.6 hour's ? Is there five people working on each side or what? How much for replacing seal's when they go bad after the 2.6 hour job?

Quick Reply: Front axle u-joint replacement HELP!