2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 V8 5.9 Won't Start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:48 AM
klooz27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 1500 V8 5.9 Won't Start!

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 5.9L V8 that has quit on me and will not start. I don't use this vehicle every day and it spends more time sitting then running since I found a more fuel efficient vehicle.

Some History:
Up until a few months ago the truck would start as normal but after running for about 3-5 min it starts to run rough and if I'm not there to rev it up it will stall and not restart sometimes. The weird thing is that if the truck is left alone for and hour or overnight it might start back up but then produce the same type of symptoms and die.

When the truck stalls it is abrupt like someone took the legs right out from underneath it. I have been reading a lot of good information on this site but have been unable to nail down the problem.

The main problem that I have deduced so far is ZERO voltage to the coil for start-up. The truck has gone from bad to worse as it will not start at all now.

Here's what I've done so far to try and resolve the problem:
  • Checked voltage to coil with meter with ignition switched on - the coil gets battery voltage for 1-2 sec and then it's gone.
  • Removed and thoroughly checked over the wiring harness under the hood - found no frayed wires or bad connectors. Re-wrapped harness and reinstalled in truck cleaning ALL connectors with electrical connector cleaner (both male and female sides of plugs).
  • Checked the ASD relay by swapping it with another - no changes
  • Checked the ASD circuit fuse - not blown - no changes
  • Getting battery power to both the actuator and switched poles of ASD Relay.
  • Replaced the Throttle Position Sensor Error Code P0123 - no changes
  • Replaced the Crank Position Sensor Error Code P0320 - no changes but plenty of scratches and scrapes on my arms
  • Tried replacing the computer with one from a junk yard from the same model year truck with similar features - no changes
  • Cleaned all engine & computer grounds that I could reach - there are two behind the block that I couldn't get to but they don't appear corroded or damaged.
  • Removed and inspected the Power Control Module (where the relays are) - no problems found
  • Replaced the ignition coil with a new one.
  • Removed the steering wheel protective covers in the cab - found no frayed or worn wires.
  • Getting Error code P1388 ASD Circuit Problem??
  • Truck Mfg Date is 1/00
  • SLT Quad Cab 4x4 with Auto Trans + OD
What sensors are REQUIRED to be functioning to allow the engine to fire?? I'm not worried about fuel economy at this point so efficiency sensors are only a concern if they are required to start the truck. Does anyone know the sequence the computer checks these sensors in??

I'm at whits end and don't know where to go from here and need some serious help. I'm 41 and just went back to college and cannot afford a professional fix right now. The truck needs to run before snow flies up here in the North East....please help!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:44 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to Dodge Forum. I will move this to the 2nd gen section (1994-2001 Rams) to get you some help.

You may have a bad PCM. A visual inspection can't really tell you anything about the PCM, other than if the wiring harness looks OK or not. If you've replaced the CPS, TPS, etc. and that didn't solve those error codes, I'd look at the computer next.

Have you had the battery itself checked, to make sure it still puts out enough amps? A failing battery can cause some really weird issues on these trucks.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Gaius
Veteran

The PCM is the engine computer, and where the relays are is called the distribution center.

Damn. Sounds weird to me. I would track down the whole ASD relay circuit. For continuity and power. I'm guessing ASD circuit short or ignition switch output circuit, but it sounds like you covered these.

I'm not too familiar with it, but do you have the factory security system?

Are you working off a factory FSM or Alldata?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you checked fuel pressure?(with a gauge). Also, when was the last time you did cap and rotor? Could be the cam position sensor/ hall effect sensor/pick up coil inside the distributor. The crank sensor could also be defective. Some after markets are longer than the OEM sensor.

But, the first thing I would do is remove negative battery cable, unscrew the pre cat o2 and let it hang, hook battery back up and see if it starts and runs.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Sounds like you have an electrical part, that is getting warm, and failing. Aren't intermittent problems fun? Things to check that you haven't: Cam Position Sensor. It's in the distributor, at the back of the motor, hidden behind six thousand other things.....

Where did you get your crank sensor from? The dodges are notorious for being VERY sensitive to aftermarket parts, if it didn't come from the dealer.... it may not work at all.

The way the system works, the coil will have power for about 3 seconds when you first turn the ignition on, the fuel pump will run to prime the system, then it all shuts back off, until you actually turn the key to start. If the PCM gets the hint that the crank is turning (CKPS), it will turn the fuel pump back on. So, check that first.

Welcome to DF!!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:00 PM
klooz27

Good news everyone! The truck started today...yippeee!!

The other day after I replaced the sensors (as posted earlier) and put the engine compartment back together I tried to start the truck with negative results. This morning I started the troubleshooting by clearing all the error codes in the computer and that was the trick I guess.

If I had to take a guess as to what the final fix was it would be the Crank Position
Sensor. After the truck started-up there was a nasty knocking noise from the area of the Crank Sensor so I shut the truck down to inspect it. I purchased the sensor from Autozone. The mounting bracket was slightly bent and allowing the sensor to rub against the flywheel?? so I bent it slightly and reinstalled and the knocking noise was gone. But initially the truck began to develop similar symptoms as before so I relocated the wires from the Crank Shaft Sensor from over the distributor and wires to behind it and the problem is now solved for good I hope.

Thank you to everyone who helped me with this - could not have done it without the help of this forum. I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

John

Old 10-30-2010, 07:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Cool. Glad ya got it fixed.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 PM
marcoseli08@hotmail.com
Default 98 dodge ram 1500 5.9l won't start

hello.. i have a 98 dodge ram 1500 5.9 and won't start.. i have change almost everything ,, distribudor, cap, rotor, crank p sensor, spark plugs and wires,, check fuel pressure and seems ok, i check for the spark in the plugs and it has it but it looks a little weak... then i thought it was the time chain bub it was not because i remove one of the valve cover and as i crank the engine the valves goes up and down.. so i really don know what is the problem,, all of this happen while y was driving in the highway, as i got off the highway i make a stop sign and die right there ... please if anyone have an idea of what could the problem be let me know.....

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to verify fuel pressure with a gauge. And if you think the spark is weak, that could be the coil.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What crank sensor did you get? Our trucks really don't seem to like the aftermarket fellers.

Also could be cam position sensor.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 V8 5.9 Won't Start!