2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting ALL the Air Out Of Coolant System

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 AM
audiomechanic
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ALL the Air Out Of Coolant System

Just replaced my radiator and filled the system. Can't seem to get all the air out of the coolant because I can hear the slight sound of bubbles flowing through the heater core. It's annoying.

How do I get all the air out?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Start with a cold engine. Remove the radiator cap. Start the engine, and let it warm up. Having the truck parked facing uphill sometimes helps too..... when the thermostat cycles, first it will push coolant OUT of the fill....... then it will suck it back down. There is a neat tool for this, that is basically a funnel that attaches to the radiator neck, so you aren't blowing coolant everywhere....... when the funnel gets on toward empty, add some more........ let the thermostat cycle several times, and it 'should' get all the air out.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:28 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Thanks! I've heard CV boots work well for that as well. Too bad I don't have either laying around. :/

Will buy one of them fancy funnel doodads.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Welp, did what you suggested and it worked!.....for about a day and then the sloshing sound came back from the heater core. I had the truck idling in the drive way yesterday and saw liquid dripping down under the truck at a pretty good rate. I thought to myself, "it's just condensation on the AC dryer." Then I remembered, the AC wasn't on. Upon closed inspection, it seems coolant is leaking from the water pump gasket or behind that. The water pump is only about 10,000 miles old so I don't know why it would be leaking. But it makes sense that this leak showed it's ugly face after replacing the radiator since the radiator could not hold pressure before. Now the new one can and so that exposes another weak-link in the coolant system.

Ugh, two years I've owned this truck and I've always had to add coolant. Thought I finally replaced the last piece of the cooling system puzzle. I suppose not.

Gonna replace the water pump again, and check the timing chain this time while I'm back there.

Any tips?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:36 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's a great time to consider an e-fan...

one of the little bonuses while having one is eliminating a lot of stress on the WP.. Meaning, the clutch fan will be removed and the shaft that comes out of the WP won't have that heavy rascal dangling off of it, and wearing down the seals on the shaft.. which theoretically means: longer life for the pump...

Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue and have found zero success. Theoretically you should push the air out and it should remained trapped in the top of the radiator since it pulls the cool liquid in from the bottom. The funnel is good for filling your cooling system, but I can still hear the the gurgle when I start my truck. Obviously it is pushing the air through the core, but who knows where it goes from there.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 AM
slider15004x4
Veteran

I have the same problem, plus the air seems to get trapped in the heater core until I start driving it and then the heat gradually gets up to temperature.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by drewactual
it's a great time to consider an e-fan...

one of the little bonuses while having one is eliminating a lot of stress on the WP.. Meaning, the clutch fan will be removed and the shaft that comes out of the WP won't have that heavy rascal dangling off of it, and wearing down the seals on the shaft.. which theoretically means: longer life for the pump...
I would, but money is an issue. Lot cheaper to do a fan clutch than an e-fan.

It is on the future mod list though!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Check closely. It could be the timing cover gasket.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll bet it is too. A lot of times when the WP is replaced the timing cover gasket gets damaged because there are almost no bolts holding it. So when you wrap the WP loose,the TC gasket gets torn. Could be the bypass hose too however.

edit: This happened on my 98, I was lucky enough to be able to retighten all the bolts and the leak stopped.

Quick Reply: Getting ALL the Air Out Of Coolant System