Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Windows Fogging

Old 11-07-2010, 09:45 AM
joe.wenzeljr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windows Fogging

My 2000 Grand Caravan has started fogging on the inside. Once it fogs up it is hard to clear up. How can i keep it from fogging?

Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Is it fogging up because of a heater core leak or just fogging up? If its not coolant, then turn on the A/C to defrost.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 PM
joe.wenzeljr
Smile Not Heater Core

No it is not leaking anything. We have gone out and turned the defrost, all the way to hot to defrost the windows then we turn it down, once we are driving for a while all windows will start to fog up. We recently had to replace an evaporator core on our AC unit. I think but i am not sure that our switch for the air circulation to bring air in from outside is not hooked up, from when the dash was apart. I will try the AC method to see if it helps....Thanks.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:54 PM
musicfeind2001

I'm searching for help with the same symptoms, except that I have determined that my heater core is at fault, as I'm leaking small amounts of coolant onto the floor! If you have just replaced the evaporator core, chances are that the heater core was damaged. I say this because in my research it seems they are in very close proximity and are recommended that if you change one you should change them both just to be safe.
Any responders plz message me as I need help getting to my heater core!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The heater core can be removed and replaced without removing the hvac housing and instrument panel. not sure what year you have so first r&r is '96 - '00 and the second will be the RS

HEATER CORE

REMOVAL
  1. Drain coolant system.
  2. Remove left side lower column cover.
  3. Remove steering column assembly. Refer to Group 19, Steering for service procedure.
  4. Remove I/P to body harness interconnect and bracket
  5. Remove lower silencer boot at base of steering shaft
  6. Pinch off heater lines under the hood.
  7. Remove heater core cover. Insert a small amount of towels under the heater core tubes. Remove heater core plate and tubes
  8. Depress heater core retaining clips
  9. Pull up on accelerator pedal and slide heater core past
  10. Depress brake pedal and remove heater core from HVAC housing.
INSTALLATION

For installation, reverse the above procedures. Install screws to retain heater core in housing. Replace heater core tube inlet O-rings. Tighten heater core tube retaining plate to 3 ± 1 N·m (27 ± 9 in. lbs.) torque.

FRONT HEATER CORE

WARNING: On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.
WARNING: Refer to the applicable warnings and cautions for this system before performing the following operation (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT - WARNINGS) and (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT - CAUTIONS). Failure to follow the warnings and cautions could result in possible personal injury or death.
  1. Remove the silencer boot fasteners located around the base of the lower steering shaft from the dash panel so that it may be pushed aside.
  2. Remove the brake lamp switch from its mounting bracket (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/BRAKE LAMP SWITCH - REMOVAL).
  3. Disconnect the power brake booster input rod (push rod) from the pin on the brake pedal arm (Refer to 5 - BRAKES - ABS/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/POWER BRAKE BOOSTER - REMOVAL).
  4. If equipped with power adjustable pedals, remove the adjustable pedal assembly (Refer to 5 - BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/ADJUSTABLE PEDALS - REMOVAL). NOTE: Take the proper precautions to protect the carpeting below the heater core from spilled engine coolant and have absorbent toweling readily available to clean up any spills.
  5. Remove the heater core tubes (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT/HEATER CORE - HEATER CORE TUBES - REMOVAL).
  6. Remove the two screws that secure the heater core mounting plate to the HVAC air distribution housing.
  7. If NOT equipped with power adjustable pedals, pull the accelerator pedal upward (Accelerator Pedal) and push the brake pedal downward (Brake Pedal) for clearance to remove the heater core from the air distribution housing.
  8. Remove the heater core by carefully pulling it straight out of the side of the air distribution housing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windows Fogging