2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE shifting problems.. erratic shifting.. shifting too fast ?

Old 11-08-2010, 09:20 AM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE shifting problems.. erratic shifting.. shifting too fast ?

First of all forgive me for posting this on a dodge forum but the jeep forums cant seem to help or have no idea what my problem could be.

I have a 1998 Grand cherokee 119k miles with the 5.9 V8 engine and the 46re transmission much like you guys with the dodge trucks..

I'll try not to make this long but its kinda hard to explain so itll probably be long lol.. Basicly my Jeep shifts too fast it feals like anyway. Like when i start from a stop and give it quarter throttle give or take, the first shift is fine and does it right away as i reach around 10-15mph. The 2nd shift seems a little hard it doesnt clunk or make noises but you can deff feal the shift, when it shifts to 2nd it does this at around 2300rpm. The weird part is RPM's only drop maybe 200 and not even 2-3 seconds later itll shift right into 3rd, and 4th gear sometime after..

The thing is why does the 46RE shift so fast between 2nd and 3rd and is this normal ? When i say 2-3 seconds i mean it barely even drive in 2nd because within a blink of an eye or a breath itll shift right into 3rd.

The other and more pressing matter is sometimes when it goes right into 3rd itll drop back down to 2nd and then not even a split second later itll go back into 3rd. You can feal the truck moving foward then back then foward from the erratic up and down shift. Im not sure if its slipping, or if this is because the transmission didnt have enough time in 2nd before it went to 3rd and so it goes back to 2nd but then the when it does that vehicle speed has been picking up so it goes right back to 3rd. I feal like problem number 1 and this problem are related i feal its shifting too fast so thats why its doing this

Sometimes it feals like 2nd gear is pointless because how fast it shifts from 2nd to 3rd and it might as well go from 1st to 3rd.....

I have shifted manually and its alot better shifting like this.. Turn overdrive off. Start in 1st at a complete stop and once i get to 1800 rpm or so shift to 2nd and itll go to like 1600 rpm and when the RPM's reach 2200 ill put it into drive and itll shift to 3rd. Then i turn on overdrive a few seconds later and itll shift to 4th.

Basicly the timming is like 1st... 2 seconds later 2nd... 3 seconds later 3rd, 3 seconds later 4th..

The way its shifting automaticly however is more like this..

1st... 2 seconds later 2nd.. 1 second later 3rd, 3 seconds later 4th

The Jeep people have been telling me maybe its the Solonoid or something, but i dont have a check engine on and advanced auto parts didnt get any codes on the device they use... However im not sure if that device will reach transmission codes.. Wouldnt a bad part in the transmission turn the check engine light on on a older OBD2 vehicle like this ?

Also i should note, I bought this Jeep 2 months ago, and it did this when i got it but the transmission mechanic at the Jeep dealership said it was shifting normal when he drove it so i left it at that. Transmission fluid/filter has been changed and it isnt low. Its little below the OK mark when its luke warm (i cant heat it up in the 30F weather even after 30minutes of driving its still luke warm), I put 1/4 ATF+4 in just in case but i dont want to fil it to the OK mark when its not HOT because i know itll go up like an inch when its hot.

Last edited by candymancan; 11-08-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

are you checking the fluid in neutral? if your checking in park, then you arent getting an accurate reading.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have a look at this https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...agnostics.html . And have you tried inspecting the TV cable to make sure it's not damaged and adjusted properly? Have a look at post #8 here, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-in-trans.html . And the solenoid you are referring too is the Governor Solenoid. Could very well be the problem and does not always throw a code. Replace the Governor Pressure Sensor at the same time if you decide to try it.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

I second what Zman said. Make sure your fluid level is correct and there are no transmission fault codes. If that stuff checks out, TV cable adjustment is the next step. Beyond that, governor pressure issues and failing torque converters cause erratic shifts/gear hunting. Or there could be other internal problems. But get the simple stuff out of the way first. After that, either use the DIY info here or have a professional give it a look.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

As far as the tranny codes go. You can try this https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...code-list.html . It's a 98 though, and so far there is no love in that department, at least not on a 98 ram. The Advance auto parts scanner is not capable of reading tranny codes. To check the Gov sensor and solenoid you need a real good scanner or take it to a shop that has one or can use a pressure gauge in the service ports to check the pressure.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Yes i parked the Jeep on as level as surface as i could find, and put into all the gear, then went to neutral and put the parking brake on.. The fluid is a tiny bit below the OK mark when it was luke warm, so i assume the level is ok because when it gets hot itll most likely be on the OK mark as its like a spec below it on the little circle on the dipstick. Do you know of any places that will read the tranny codes for free or do i have the pay the stealership some rediculous amount of money to check them..

When i changed the transmission fluid and filter, i should note i didnt find any peices or chunks in the transmission pan, no bands or anything. The magnet had alot of sludge on it but the pan was fairly clean. I wish i looked into this matter more with the Governor pressure sensor and solenoid before i changed the fluid... If i have to replace those 2 items i'll need to blow another $40 on fluid too... Or can i capture the old fluid stuff and just refill it lol... yea i know but im broke..

As for the TV cable. Where would this be and how would i go about checking if its adjusted correctly ? Is it next to the throttle body on the engine ? Do i have to just push on the throttle and open it all the way and watch the TV cable or what ? If so what am i looking for ?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

It's not the fluid level. All that "sludge" you mention is clogging the Solenoid. And NO, do not reuse the tranny fluid. The TV cable is on the passenger side of the TB. It's the cable running towards the firewall. And I gave you a link on how to check the adjustment!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Well when i say sludge i ment like particles of metal on the magnet that makes a sludge like stuff... You know what i mean if you took a pan off a transmission before.. Maybe i could clean the solonoid somehow ?

Yea i saw the link after the fact sorry lol.. Altho right now i noticed my coolant level seems lower then what i remember, i wonder if i have a blown headgasket too.... This Jeep is turning into a nightmare.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I've never taken a pan off before. I was just taking a guess. Sorry

Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Cleaning the solenoids only works for a little while...... not many success stories there. Replacing them is your best bet. And yes, you will probably find them clogged full of the same crap on your magnet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 46RE shifting problems.. erratic shifting.. shifting too fast ?