2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

tune up options for the 3.9L v6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 PM
jamoka3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tune up options for the 3.9L v6?

I did a cold air intake and a magnaflow high flow cat and cat back system, on my 99 Dakota. Now I'm looking to do a "performance" tune up... Any suggestions?

I was looking to run champion double platinum plugs with a new coil, cap and rotor,and spark plug wires.

Is there a "performance" coil, cap, rotor and wires for the v6?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check msd's website.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 PM
UncleStu

Cap & rotor- you want brass contacts/terminals. You *Don't* need to $pend $eriou$ Buk$ for some big aftermarket performance name, just spend an extra buck or few for brass contacts. NAPA has such a cap & rotor, reasonably priced.

Plugs- in general, platinum plugs offer longer life, but not better performance- that usually comes from plain copper core plugs. OEM-type Champions, NGK V-Powers, or maybe Autolite 3923 if pinging is a problem, should let your 3.9 run to its full potential- and all those are pretty cheap too.Just be prepared to change them every 35,000 miles or so.

Wires- more nonsense goes on about plug wires than almost anything else. A plug wire is a conductor, it does *Not* make horsepower! Don't get pulled into the "resistance wars" some sellers advertise either- an electrical phenomenon called "skin effect" renders that useless as an argument. Best tutorial on plug wires I've ever seen is at the Magnecor site- just google "magnecor spark plug wires", find their website, educate yourself- and you don't have to buy their wires either! However- if you *do* decide to buy expen$ive wire$- you can't do better than Magnecors. Otherwise, any house brand spiral wound silicone insulated wires from any parts house like NAPA, O'Reillys, etc will serve you well for a few years at least.

And if anyone tries to sell you something called Nology wires- Run like hell!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:47 PM
jamoka3
Rookie

sweet thanks for the tips..

Quick Reply: tune up options for the 3.9L v6?