1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Shifer linkage/ switch adjusting help NEEDED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Dakota1089
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifer linkage/ switch adjusting help NEEDED!

So after talking to crazy and reading some other post on other site where people are having the same issue as me. I believe like crazy said its the shifter thats needs adjusting. Since i already replaced the neutral/ safety switch. The shifter linkage or switch must need adjusting. Could you guys give me some more info on doing the adjusting and where the linkage is located etc... My manual is with my truck at my buddys so i need to get some info tonight before i go there tomorrow and can bust out the repair book and fixer up

Please feel free to chime in!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:38 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you crawl under your truck, you'll see a linkage coming out of the firewall at the steering column. Follow it down until you find this whole assembly...

ColumnShifter.jpg?t=1254364539

The part labled "Front shift rod, spring, and swivel" in the diagram is what you want to find. Loosen the "Swivel Lock Bolt" and adjust as needed. Unfortunately, its just trial and error, but it shouldn't take too long. Also, that spring keeps tension on the swivel, so mark it's inital point on the rod, because as soon as you loosen that bolt, it will be pushed down.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Dakota1089
Professional

Sweet that makes sense and thats what i needed to see. I do remember seeing that stuff when i did the safety switch. Thank god my buddy has a car lift that will make this way easier

Old 10-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Dakota1089
Professional

Well the front shift linkage didn't want to move up or down. But after some trial and error the linkage does not need adjusting. When i lowered my truck and went to start it and pull her out of the garage i tried something different so while in park i lifted up on the steering colume and blam she started right up? Killed it and tried it again and it started right up. So I'm guessing its the wire thats is tied to the colume that marks what gear its in. I'm gonna tighten it up a bit and she should be good.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

Alright guys its been awhile since i have been on here i work on the road so i my truck has been sitting for about 9 months and im still having starting issues. First off i might need a new battery since its been sitting but besides the battery when connected to a jump box the truck turns over in neutral but not park and i replaced the safety switch like i said above which only solved my problem for a month or so after and i kept having the same issue? could it be the ignition switch under the column? i just put in a new lock cylinder so thats all good, im almost ready to blow this truck up and say screw it but its a solid runner - this 1 issue! Any thoughts on how to adjust the linkage that goes from up by the turn signal down to the ignition switch could that be off?

Thanks guys good to be back, well not under these circumstances but you know what i mean

Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The new switch could be faulty. Or stuck. Or the shifter is still not adjusted correctly. I would say replace the switch. It might even still have a warranty, so a replacement will be free.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

I mean the linkage looked really solid and when driving shifts well and the gear id needle thing is spot on where it should be... i guess the switch is my best bet? A good friend who knows 80's dodge good said that too.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Dakota1089
Professional
Default Finally made some headway

Alright guys so i have finally figured out the issue but its still acting weird? So to start things off i did some testing to get and idea of what might be the issue. So to begin i did a base line test by just trying to start the truck normally and it wouldnt start (btw battery turns out good), next i hooked a jump box to the battery and do a 225amp 12v start and the truck would fire everytime in park (no more neutral bs). Then back to the base test and it wont start so i talked to my old man and he said my starter solenoid could be shot or going out? i had the idea that that could be the prob since when applying a 225amp jump the amount of amp are forcing my starter to engage and work right. Hmm so me and a buddy tried to maybe shine some more light on this by cleaning my starter n solenoid. Well the starter looked mostly good inside the solenoid the copper or whatever plates were charded black but mostly looked alright, gave is a great cleaning and cleaned all the contact surfaces and re installed it. Then the moment of truth. 1, 2 ,3 nothing so i know this trick to check ur starter where while starting tap on the starter so we do that and it fires for the first time in park with no jumper, yes! then again without taping and nothing? Then again with taping and right away? Hmmmm tried again without taping on the starter and id starts twice in a row, move it out of the garage and it wont start without taping on the starter? WTF??? then thismorning i said let try to start this thing and it started for me 3 time in a row with out taping the starter?

So im thinking that the starter or solenoid or going out?? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Old 11-21-2010, 05:26 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine ground?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

Can you explain more?

Quick Reply: Shifer linkage/ switch adjusting help NEEDED!