2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2001 Dashboard Cracks

Old 04-25-2005, 01:53 PM
dealfinder001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dashboard Cracks

Out of nowhere my dashboard just started cracking on my 2001 Ram 1500. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Maybe someone with similar experience can advise me on how to repair it without spending $360 at the dealership for the part and $500 for labor. Yeah I know I can get a dash mat but I don't want one. I also do not think I should have to pay for the dash or the labor. This truck is only four years old, and the dashboard is not even discolored from the sun yet. I'm actually looking for people with similar problems (and similar year truck) so that we can get dodge(Daimler/Chrysler) to put a recall on it. I love my truck, and I love getting it muddy but I am very disappointed in the dashboard.[:@]

Old 04-25-2005, 02:16 PM
bign1976
Veteran
Default RE: 2001 Dashboard Cracks

My 01 has been sitting outside in the sun since it came off the line at the factory (except for the 3 days it was in the showroom). no signs of any cracks.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:32 PM
dealfinder001

I hope your dash does not crack but if it does it will be from the two bolts close to the windshield on the Passenger side behind the airbag.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:15 PM
rschupp

ORIGINAL: dealfinder001

Out of nowhere my dashboard just started cracking on my 2001 Ram 1500. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Maybe someone with similar experience can advise me on how to repair it without spending $360 at the dealership for the part and $500 for labor. Yeah I know I can get a dash mat but I don't want one. I also do not think I should have to pay for the dash or the labor. This truck is only four years old, and the dashboard is not even discolored from the sun yet. I'm actually looking for people with similar problems (and similar year truck) so that we can get dodge(Daimler/Chrysler) to put a recall on it. I love my truck, and I love getting it muddy but I am very disappointed in the dashboard.[:@]
Same problem here. Dodge says is not a common problem so won't fix it, yet I know of several people with same problem. Let's write to them as a group so they can see IT IS a common problem. Please respond

Old 05-18-2005, 04:23 PM
dealfinder001

Thanks for responding. OK, I tried arbitration and the person handling my claim treated me like a little kid. He pretty much told me that if I wanted to pursue it further to get a lawyer. I'm willing to try anything that does not involve coughing up $900.00. Let me know how I can help.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Hawkeye

I also have the same problem on my 2001. I just ordered a vacuum-molded ABS plastic dash cover today. It sounded good in their ad. I'll post again if it looks OK.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:14 PM
timocpa1

I have the same problem with the same make and model. Mine is not just a crack but a crevice in multiple parts. My truck has never been in an accident and is not used for off road driving. Where did you order the cover from and how well does it fit?

Old 06-20-2005, 08:14 PM
dissapointmentdodge

I have a 2001 1500 and have the same “cracked dash” problem. I work at a government facility and there are dozens of dodge pick-ups on-site. They ALL have cracked dashes. I am extremely disappointed with this vehicle and with Dodge customer support!!!!! I was giving Dodge a try and they failed miserably!!!

Old 06-26-2005, 02:50 PM
tom67

I went to the dodge dealer to heve some warranty work done on my 2001 dodge ram. One of the items is a 4" long crack on my dash board. My truck is well taken care of with protectant such as armoral and a sunshade ect. There is no discoloration from any sun damage and to my suprize the service guy told me the trim is most likely not covered under warranty. I was to say the least ,upset and also told him three people I woork with have dodge pickups and their dash boards are riddled with cracks. In my opinion this situation is a no brainer the dash boards problably were not engineered correctly or a substandard grade of material was used. With all the obvious problems with the dashboards dodge should admit there lack of quality control and step up to the plate and do what is right.I intend to fight for a dashboard replacement at no charge to me. If they do not own up I will no longer purchace a chrysler product and wiil advise any one I know not to buy their products

Old 06-26-2005, 05:27 PM
NaviDave

I'm glad I have an '02!

Seriously - Dodge does not care.

My original rack went out by 20,000 km's.

My current one was leaking again at 64,000 km's. Over warranty by 4,000km's.

Dodge did not give a ****. Dealer offered to drop the price by about $100 - on $1K.

The kick in the nards - is that they switched to a difference supplier because of the failures - kept it quiet.

If I were to replace it again - it would probably last. Will have to in winter when it gets cold again.

If the import guys could make a decent full sized pickup - the big 3 would be toast.

They wanted me to trade-in - I noted the following reasons:

1) The Hemi can't properly tow a 5th due to the lack of low-end torque and the fact that it tries to tow in "overdrive" (545rfe 4th is the same ratios as my 46re 4th).

2) I have had warranty issues to deal with - but at least my 5.9 does not through valve springs or stall.

3) $45K CAD to replace mine at $38K three years ago.

So - I bought the 7/160km extended warranty at lease buy-out and have 5 more years of payments...

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Dashboard Cracks