Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Anti theft reset needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 01:23 PM
nbrinson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti theft reset needed

Recently some POS tried to steal my in-laws '07 Grand Caravan. But all they did was disable the car. The sensor around the ignition switch was broken(the wire imbedded in the plastic was broken in 2), and the battery was dead. I was able to get the car to start three times, each time it only ran for a couple seconds then died, after that the engine wouldnt even try to start. I assume this is due to the broken sensor not recognising the key. I brought the sensor home and resoldered the wire back together but it still wont even try to start. Is there any way to reset this system without having to go to the dealership? My in-laws are elderly, in poor health, and dont have much money to pay dealership prices, any help would be truly appreciated!!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:39 PM
jumpdrive2
Rookie
Default sentry antitheft

After 6 attempts you set a code for the vehicle not to start. I do not believe it can be reset except with a obd III scanner. You could try to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to clear the code. On some GM vehicles you insert key and turn it to the ON position for 10 minutes to reset. In the end I believe you will have to have the scanner to reset. There could be some other way but I can not find it in the service manual.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:58 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You are going to need to replace the immobilizer (SHREEM) and have the dealer program it.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

well sorry for your lose in this situation. did they get they guy? i think put it to insurance, i beleive its part of comprehensive and you should not need too pay deductable. or if it happened infront of house in driveway claim to house insurance. then go back and sue that idiot. i know it may not bring back money but he will have another thing on his head he probably have to pay ya in future if he has a job.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Good point, I was only looking at fixxing the problem.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:15 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
You are going to need to replace the immobilizer (SHREEM) and have the dealer program it.
+1

Old 04-01-2012, 12:06 AM
troulbes2012
Default antitheft

i went and got a trouble code scanner it still starting and it runs 2 secs, shuts down any ideas out there?

Quick Reply: Anti theft reset needed