2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Ram 2500 Heater Problem

Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Spindoc99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Ram 2500 Heater Problem

I've searched around and found lots of forums talking about "sortof" my issue, so I thought I would post "exactly" my issue and see if any of you "more qualified than me" guys out there could help a brutha out.

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie. I bought it two years ago, and I've never had "good" heat.

The temp gauge never really gets to good running tempurature. (I'm not sure what the temperature should be but lets put it this way, at 12 oclock high is 210 degrees, My needle stays pointing at 10 oclock all the time. never goes higher.)

Anyway even after an hour in the truck with the heater on the whole time, I get luke warm air coming out of the vents. If i put it on high, I get cold air. I have to leave it on the third setting or I freeze.

I've changed the thermostat, I have the heat checked, and the hoses are hot, but none of the heat is getting in the cab. I've also checked the control doors and it seems their opening just the way they should be.

AC, I get lots of air, and its freezing cold. Heat, nuthin!

So what would cause poor heat?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd generation section (1994-2001 Dodge Rams), get you some help.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:35 PM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional

I've got the same problem with the heat, haven't replaced the thermostat yet, so I'm interested in seeing what people suggest and what, if anything, works for you.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Spindoc99
Default I've replaced the thermo

Made no difference. Mechanics have used that thermogun and told me that the pipes are hot, and can't tell me why the air coming out of my vents is not. The air is coming out, its "warm" on the third notch, but on high, its luke warm at best.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Air pocket in the heater core. Par for the course for these trucks. Park your truck at a rather severe angle, with the passenger front being the highest point. Try burping the air out of the cooling system. (DO NOT open the radiator when hot, you get a VERY rude surprise.)

If that doesn't help, flush the heater core. Flush in both directions, ending with backwards. Then, trying to lose as little coolant as possible, hook both heater hoses back up. Makes a WORLD of difference on my truck. (having a friend help you makes this exercise much easier.)

Old 01-11-2011, 05:08 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HeyYou's quicker'n'me today. What he said!

If it's not air in the heater core, you might have a punked blend door. They've been discussed a lot lately so a site search should turn up something useful to confirm or deny that as a possibility.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM
diedinabox
Default Heater fix

I had the same problem.. I went to my local pet store got a low pressure water pump and did my own flush but that wasn't it.. Turned out there is a little ceramic block under the dash on the passaanger side. I for get the name of it but I changed it and wow what heat I have now!! You can call your local advance and they will more then likely know what it is called.

Originally Posted by Spindoc99
I've searched around and found lots of forums talking about "sortof" my issue, so I thought I would post "exactly" my issue and see if any of you "more qualified than me" guys out there could help a brutha out.

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie. I bought it two years ago, and I've never had "good" heat.

The temp gauge never really gets to good running tempurature. (I'm not sure what the temperature should be but lets put it this way, at 12 oclock high is 210 degrees, My needle stays pointing at 10 oclock all the time. never goes higher.)

Anyway even after an hour in the truck with the heater on the whole time, I get luke warm air coming out of the vents. If i put it on high, I get cold air. I have to leave it on the third setting or I freeze.

I've changed the thermostat, I have the heat checked, and the hoses are hot, but none of the heat is getting in the cab. I've also checked the control doors and it seems their opening just the way they should be.

AC, I get lots of air, and its freezing cold. Heat, nuthin!

So what would cause poor heat?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 PM
trukr36
Amateur

I would check the blend door again. Last year on my '98 the cable popped off the door and I had no heat at all. If you pull out the glove compartment you can access the door and see. I ran for a while with a vise-grip on the door shaft that sticks out the bottom of the heater box until I could re-attach the cable, but then, I had full heat or no heat , no in between.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Flue
Veteran

Maybe try this approach?
Core Flush

I would suggest using a coupler and connecting an additional couple of feet of hose to run your outlet to a bucket instead of a jug next to your face. sheesh.

Also, when I was finished there was still a slight gurgle in the cab. Romped on it pretty good and the gurgle went a way...has not come back...and have heat.

Had the same issue...luke warm air at low and med low, cold any speeds higher. It really sucks after standing in a cold river chasing steelheads and your unable to warm your frozen toes afterwards...ya know?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
98Woo2500
Professional

Originally Posted by diedinabox
I had the same problem.. I went to my local pet store got a low pressure water pump and did my own flush but that wasn't it.. Turned out there is a little ceramic block under the dash on the passaanger side. I for get the name of it but I changed it and wow what heat I have now!! You can call your local advance and they will more then likely know what it is called.
i have never heard of this......... has anybody else

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Ram 2500 Heater Problem