3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear seat stuck up

Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 AM
boopadoopa
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear seat stuck up

I have a quad cab and this morning I lifted the back seat to get my ice scraper and it wont go back down? Is there a safety latch on them. I cant find why its not coming back down.. Now its dark and i really didnt look but I know its not stuck on something as all I have under the seat was my ice scraper.. any thoughts? is there gears or a latch or something.. Sometimes it sticks going up too but never thought of it.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:17 AM
vinnierap
Rookie

The hinges could be rusted/frozen. Try spraying some wd 40 or if you have silicone based spray (better for lubricating) spray some of that on there.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

They are not stiff and there is no rust present. its almost feels like theres some type of latch catching.. it moves like 6 inches then catches sort of like the seat belt grabbing when yanked... When I get off work if its still light out ill check it out..

Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
BUMBLE_BEE
Amateur
Thumbs up

my passenger side did the same thing its wiggle it back and forth and look at the hinges as you do it. you should see a part that looks like it should not move but it does as you let it down wiggle that part as well and it should come down. at least mine did. how it helps.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Matt99
Champion

you have a loop on the back wall that is caught by a hook on your seat. The hook on the seat has a plastic guide on the front that helps it "glide" but it is separate from the metal hook. I would bet that these two hooks have split apart and has it caught.

Search for "back seat mod" where you flip the loop to allow you to raise and lower the back of your backseat and you will see how to fix this.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:10 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

Ill look there but in another topic it said this "They have a stop on them that prevents the seat from dropping down during braking when the seat is up? I think this is what I have going on It wont release but there was no reply to the post or where to look for this mechanism at? Probably on the hinges I would guess but at work now so ill look later

Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you have anything under the seats that could get caught and wedged in the latches? Ive never heard of anyone with stuck seats before

Old 12-15-2010, 01:29 PM
boopadoopa
Professional

Nope All is clear under the seat the storage boxes on both sides one held my ice scraper the other has 2 ratchet straps.. No kids toys, candy, crayons nothing.. It moves like 6 inches to close it but then something catches feels like on the passenger side.. I tried some force but its solid, the seat closes about 1/4 of the way before it catches and wont go any further... Earlier it did it when I tried to open it? Like I lifted it maybe 6 inches then it stopped like i said earlier a seat belt locking when you yank on it.. its odd..

Old 12-16-2010, 04:17 AM
05akram
Amateur

Mine is the exact same way. I think there should be a release lever somewhere but if its like mine its not there. Mine does this on both sides. If you look really close to where the latch is you have to manually push the mechanism down pass the lock.. Sorry this is really hard to explain, and is also a PITA to do and can pinch your fingers while doing so. This is what leads me to believe there has to be a lever but I just bought my truck so????

Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

05akram... Yep thats what I had to do last night.. I got a screwdriver and pushed the latch inside the hinge in so the seat would release.. I lubed it up but it didn't help Did it every time I put the seat up.. Ill wait till its warmer to dig into it . There should be a lock lever but there isn't..its only the passenger side of the rear bench. Ill keep the screw driver handy for the next time.. Maybe when its not 6 degrees Ill get in and either remove it or something..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear seat stuck up