3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear vibration and noise

Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 PM
tegguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear vibration and noise

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab long bed with about 36,000 miles. Recently I have noticed a vibration during acceleration. From what I can tell it feels like the rear end is "hopping" I also have a squeak coming from the rear differential (I believe where the driveshaft comes into the diff) It is not constant and changes as it rotates (Like it squeals during half the rotation and not the other half) it also appears to go away at higher speeds.

To top everything off I looked under there tonight and it appears the seal on the front side of the differential is starting to leak as I have fluid spray on my gas tank and exhaust piping. I checked and I still have fluid in the diff and it appears to just have started leaking.

Does anyone have any ideas what the first problems could be and/or have trouble shooting ideas? I have put the truck on jack stands and the noise is still there and is defiantly coming from the diff area. I assume the only fix for the leak is a new seal. How hard is this to replace? Do I have to drop the entire rear end or can this be replaced on the vehicle?

Thank you everyone in advance

Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 PM
tegguy

I'm thinking the vibration might be the U-Joint

Old 12-16-2010, 06:53 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

It sounds like a Pinion seal Read this

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...5818-leak.html

Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, fluid leaking and spraying on the fuel tank is definitely the pinion seal. As for the hopping, is it at normal driving speeds or just slowing down?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 AM
tegguy

The hopping is most noticeable at slow speeds mostly during acceleration. I really haven't noticed it at highway speeds but I'll monitor it closely today since I have to drive 100 miles on the freeway.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Could be a tire out of balance or a bent axle.........

Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 AM
tegguy

Thanks for the link on the pinion seal. Thats what I figured it was although I couldn't recall the name.

I forgot to mention when starting from a stock there is an occasional clunk as you first start moving. I believe it's the second the wheel start to turn i have noticed this during acceleration from a deceleration also

I have the factory 17" alloys on it right now I'll swap out for my 20" Hemi wheels and see if the vibration goes away or not. I figure it would be a slim chance that if it were a tire out of balance that two sets would have the same problem

Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 PM
tegguy

just got back from my trip and it's the worst about 50-55 above 55 it feels like it's gone and below 30 it feels like it's going. I don't know if "hopping" is the correct way to describe it but it's a really bad vibration I can feel in the floor of the truck up into the steering wheel but it still feels like it's coming from the rear end.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:55 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I would rotate the rear wheels with the front and see what you get. That will at least rule that put if they are not the issue

Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 PM
SeanW727
Professional

UJoint? Your ujoint could be bad. Get under the truck and make sure the parking brake is on and you want the tranny in park too i beleive. Take a hold of your Driveshaft and see if it turns any.... If theres too much play where hte driveshaft meets the Rear Diff.... It could very well be your ujoint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear vibration and noise