2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Doors & Windows Freezing Up

Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 AM
NorDakota
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doors & Windows Freezing Up

Anyone else living in the freezing weather have a problem with doors & windows freezing shut? It seems this 2000 QC is especially bad for me. At least my '94 Dak I could get my fingers in to pull, but with the 2000 my fingers won't fit. Thought about smearing some vaseline on the seals, any ideas?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:39 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I use spray silicone grease on my weatherstrips every so often. It keeps them soft and pliable so they seal better and last longer. I don't use silicone to keep the door from freezing shut, that's not a problem here in Florida. But a better seal does help keep out rain and wind noise. If you use a solid grease on them, try using white lithium grease or dielectric grease instead of Vaseline. Vaseline will eat up the rubber in no time. Maybe you could throw an old blanket or tarp over the truck so it doesn't freeze so bad.

Jimmy

Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 AM
sonderegger
Rookie

yes, my windows and doors ALWAYS freeze shut. haha i got a club cab and i always have to pull hard on the door to open. the windows alllways freeze at the bottom seal and i cant open them until i let the defrost get at it for a while

Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 AM
dirtbiker
Captain

Yeah, my doors and windows freeze shut. Its just a matter of pulling hard enough, and then like you said wait for defrost to kick in then roll it down, which I don't because is so cold out.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:49 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine freeze all the time, in fact my pass.side rear window is bolted shut from when the regulator broke a few years ago. my driver window regulator broke twice allready. plastic window regulators just dont cut it in the cold.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Brian2001
Rookie

yep mine freeze as well and if i lock my doors there no hope on getting in my truck.. lol

Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

It seems the driver side is more susceptible to freezing shut. Most of the time it just takes a good tug. Other times I really cannot open the damn door. However, the passenger side is usually relatively easy to open. Good thing I installed a keyless entry system, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to manually unlock the door since the locks freeze, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doors & Windows Freezing Up