Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Cruise Control Problems, 1996 Dodge B3500, 5.2L

Old 12-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Tom Norman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Problems, 1996 Dodge B3500, 5.2L

Our cruise control just started acting up. It worked perfectly in the past. The green light comes on when we turn the cruise control on. But nothing happens when we press the "set" button. When pressing the "set" button, the van does not accelerate so we can designate a constant speed. Sometimes, if we fiddle with the "resume" button and the accelerator pedal, the cruise control kicks in. (possibly at a previously set speed?) But, even after doing the "resume" button/accelerator pedal fiddling, the speed doesn't remain constant; sometimes the van keeps accelerating without pressing the accelerator. The cruise always turns off, as it should, when the brake pedal is depressed.

Where do I start checking? Is the switch on the steering wheel bad? The cruise servo module? The cruise vacuum canister? The Dodge Service Manual says the cruise servo module and vacuum canister are located behind the passenger-side front fender extension, but I wanted to get some opinions before I started digging into anything.

Thanks, Tom

Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Could also be the switch too. Do you know if there is any codes?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:13 PM
obiewan kanobe

the most common problem is a vacuum leak, check that first, since that is the cheapest fix. don't overlook the little connectors on vacuum lines..they go bad too.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:21 PM
RussellRowell
Rookie

If he had a vacuum leak, I don't think it would work at all. There could be wires that are shorting out. Once my cruise was acting up. And I kept getting a check engine light. The plastic material that covers the metal wire had come off the 3 wires of my park/neutral safety switch wiring on top of my tranny. The wiring had not been protected. The 3 wires were touching each other causing a short. Cleaned it up and no more cruise control problems. GL

Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RussellRowell
If he had a vacuum leak, I don't think it would work at all.
It would depend on the size of the leak. Obviously if there were a gapping hole in the vacuum line then you're correct, it wouldn't work at all. If however the vacuum line was brittle and cracked like so many end up, then enough vacuum could still be made in order for the modulator to work to a certain degree.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 PM
k5avj

Also, you could have a sticking brake light switch...this disables the cruise. Pull your brake up by sliding your foot behind the brake pedal. I have to do this sometimes on my '04 Dodge 2500 Ram Truck

Old 04-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Michael Wagner

I have a 1999 1500, 5.2 and the cruise control isn't working. The cruise light comes on but no response from the buttons at all. Are the above suggestions valid for a 3 year newer van?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise Control Problems, 1996 Dodge B3500, 5.2L