Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cold weather starting..

Old 12-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Geezir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather starting..

So I have a 2005 5.9 Cummins and it has been giving me some issues with cold weather starting. Right now its about -5*C, probably went down to maybe -10*C over night. Went to start the truck this morning and it wont start. Truck wasn't plugged in but at -5*C...does it really need to be? Plenty of battery power to crank it over and as far as I can tell the heater grid is cycling properly.

Cummins is a great motor...but my **** they are a pain in the *** for cold starting. -35*C you can almost forget about starting it.

I run a fuel conditioner with anti-gel in it so I doubt (especially at these mild temps) that my fuel is gelled or there is frozen condensation in the lines.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:51 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try pluging it in and see how it reacts, my 75 used to start up with some grid cycles and a couple trys at cranking, but always started with little issues below 0*F but they do have completely different fuel systems, i keep mine pluged in most of the winter just for the joy of not having to drive for 1/2 an hour to get heat out of the vents, i got one of the plug in timers and it kicks on every morning just a few hours before i need to leave

Old 12-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Yeah it's plugged in now but the batteries wont turn over anymore. After a couple grid cycles and start attemptes it wont turn over at all.

I'm going to try cleaning the terminals see if that helps. Like I said it sounded like it was cranking strong.

Wondering what my fuel filter looks like...I haven't changed it since buying the truck, could have some gunk in it which wouldn't help my problem at all.

I hadn't plugged it in all this week and it was fine..just today it wouldn't catch while turning over.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Tazman40
Professional

Just cause u have treated the fuel doesnt mean it isnt crystalized.I have seen alot of treated winter blend fuels here in upstate NY gel.If its cranking and not smoking then its fuel.I would pop the filter and see what it looks like.Between the old filter and the cold im pretty sure u will find the problem

Old 12-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Where does one find the fuel filter on these trucks? Is it inline? Or will it be right on the fuel tank.

Also noticed that the ground on my drivers side battery has (once again) come loose. I've tightened it up as much as I can (again). This is about the third time this terminal has been tightened and it seems no matter how tight I tighten the pinch bolt...its never 100% tight on the post.

This clearly isn't helping my starting problem. Thoughts?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:15 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the filter is on the drivers side of the engine, better get a new cable or find a way to fix it, slow cranking never helps a diesel start

Old 12-26-2010, 12:35 PM
sbriggins
Default Loose terminal

A loose terminal definately affects your starting, but it may not be the main issue. I recommend going to a parts store and getting the heaviest duty terminal you can get (your battery cables should be 1/0, or what the parts store will call 1 guage). If you have smaller wires going into that terminal then just crimp some small ring terminals and piece it all together.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Geezir
Veteran

ground cable does not have a replaceable terminal on it and there isn't enough slack in the cable to cut off the OEM terminal and put an aftermarket terminal on it.

Stupid design that new vehicles come with.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 PM
AngryWhiteMan

Live in Nothern Colorado Temp drops several week during the winter at night between 0 F and -10 F never had a problem starting in the morning. I always plug in my truck at night when it gets down to 20 F or lower. They mix Diesel #1 with #2 here in the winter months between Oct. and March. Fuel mileage always drops about 1 MPG cause of it. Your truck has some other problem. I run 10K Oil changes with one Oil filter change in the middle and one Fuel filter change at every Oil change. My truck doesn't fit in my gargage due to not making clearance at the door. It's 360 days 24/7 outside

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold weather starting..