3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TCM quick learn

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 PM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCM quick learn

I have to ask out here with a post!
The trick with ECM fuse and key ON 3 times and wait 20 sec in ON position. this will reset the ECM/PCM
but will this trick reset the TCM and do this start the "TCM QUICK LEARN" witch the manual talk about?
the manual say I have to do the "TCM QUICK LEARN" after changing trans. I just had mine for overhaul.

Happy if someone know this, if not do I have to go to the workshop and do "TCM QUICK LEARN" with a DRB III tool, or can this be done with some other trick?

car is a 2002 ram with 5.9 gas

Old 12-27-2010, 03:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Pull the fuse or unhook both terminals that go to the battery and hold them together for 10sec. That will reset everything. Ofcourse you'lll lose your radio presets.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie

are you sure about this?
there is several requirements to this "mode", the manual say this:
To perform the Quick Learn Procedure, the following
conditions must be met:
² The brakes must be applied
² The engine speed must be above 500 rpm
² The throttle angle (TPS) must be less than 3
degrees
² The shift lever position must stay in PARK until
prompted to shift to overdrive
² The shift lever position must stay in overdrive
after the Shift to Overdrive prompt until the DRBt
indicates the procedure is complete
² The calculated oil temperature must be above
60° and below 200°

so if I just put the battery terminals together, all this is "ok"...?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 PM
FrostKing
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A quick learn must be done at a dealership with their tools or at a shop that has the Snap-on scanner and appropriate program. These are the only two options. Driving the truck without a quick learn will most definitely shorten the life of the new transmission. I myself need one this week for my transmission I recently rebuilt.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 AM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie

that is crap!
I have to drive like 100 miles or more to find a dealer with this tool....

Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Dirty is talking about quick learning of the PCM I think. Find OlDirtyJohn and speak with him about quick learning the trans as he has first hand exp and knowledge of this.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:12 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unfortunately, there is no easy trick to do a quick learn procedure. you would have to bring it to a dealership, or transmission shop to get it done. the DRBIII tool is about $5000-$8000 to buy, and you need a lot of training to use it.

you MIGHT be able to get away without getting one done though. but only if the transmission that was in there before this new one wasnt in too bad of condition.

let me explain to you what the quick learn procedure does exactly. your transmission uses the thickness of all the clutches inside as values. this tells the transmissions computer how and when to shift. so when a transmission goes bad, the clutches are usually very thin, and the transmission uses those values and compensates for them in the shifts. when you put a new transmission in though, the computer still uses the values of the last transmission. so the computer thinks it has very thin clutches, but it actually has brand new thicker ones. this can cause excess wear or slippage on your new transmission, thus the need for the quick learn. the quick learn is performed while driving at various speeds, and it allows the transmission to relearn all the the clutch thicknes values (CVI numbers) and then process how and when to shift using those values.

so like i said.. you dont HAVE to get the quick learn done. but you risk putting your new transmission through excess wear and tear.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I was referring to a TOTAL reset of everything because if you drive now, there is programming of your old transmission in the computer. You need to reset all the data(RAM) so it's gone for good and everything is back to stock settings.
Once you do this, you can drive around with your newly rebuilt transmission and the computer will re-learn itself. Now, you may exhibit quick or lagging shifts for the time being, but no way can this ruin your transmission within 50miles or so unless you blatently slam the gas within that time frame. Just go easy and drive with respect and the trans will learn itself. It's designed to do just that!
If I re-did my tranny, that is what I would do. You would def be able to tell if your trans isn't shifting properly so you can quit at any time. Just stay local and be sure to go through all the gears. DON"T manually shift though.
This is called a drive-to-learn and 99% of the guys on here have done this even though they don't realize it! Everytime I unhook my battery I can feel the trans shifting differently until I put on 100 or so miles it learns my curve.
If and only IF your transmisssion is still shifting funky after 100-150miles, then you'll want to go to a dealership and have them program it for you. it'll cost $100.
But EVEN if they do a quick learn, your trans will still alter it's behavior based on how you drive so it's simply an itnitial set-up is all.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 PM
FrostKing
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is impossible to reset the adaptives for the transmission by disconnecting the power and this learning process is much, much slower than for the engine. After my last transmission rebuild the 1-2 shift would literally lock up the rear tires and 4th would slip with almost no throttle input. Of course the quick learn cured all this. It is possible your truck my not be affected this bad, but the quick learn still needs to be done. There is reason the engineers created the quick learn process and why every manual lists it as mandatory.

The following users liked this post:
Easilyaddicted11 (08-02-2022)
Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by FrostKing
It is impossible to reset the adaptives for the transmission by disconnecting the power and this learning process is much, much slower than for the engine. After my last transmission rebuild the 1-2 shift would literally lock up the rear tires and 4th would slip with almost no throttle input. Of course the quick learn cured all this. It is possible your truck my not be affected this bad, but the quick learn still needs to be done. There is reason the engineers created the quick learn process and why every manual lists it as mandatory.

Regardless if the memory is volatile or not, he can still drive around and the transmission WILL learn the new shift curve. He just cannot go WOT until everything has been learned which yeah, can take a while. if nothing happens within 150miles as I stated, then he is fine to drive, but that doesn't mean he can go WOT at that point in time.
Since he has a 2002, i don't even think a Superchips r Diablo tuner would reset his TCM parameters like mine would. I actualy think that might be the only way around the starscan tool.
In the ideal world, simply changing your transmission fluid and filter would require a quick learn of the TCM. While this sounds ridiculous to most, it goes with the same principles that apply to installing a new transmission, while the change may not be as harsh, there will still be adaptations needed to be made! Now, we all know, nobody does this when they change thier fluid or filter and just drive.
If OP can shift through all the gears with no lock-ups or problems as I already stated before, he can get by without any special programming.

The learning curve is done with the engine running and gear in nuetral with the parking brake set to warm up the fluid and then is driven and programmed via starscan tool. Might be better to warm up the fluid prior to the intial drive, but I think you guys are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. Isolated incidents are not a common occurence although irregular shift patterns may be experienced for a little while. it all depends on how far apart the previous settings are from what needs to be??

Quick Reply: TCM quick learn