1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Check engine light on cold starts

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:20 PM
JVenger
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light on cold starts

My check engine lights comes on if I drive after a cold start not letting it warm up. After the check engine light turns on it goes into limp mode and goes away after awhile. Does anybody else have this issue?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:35 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the CEL Flash ? or stay on solid ?
Have the Codes Scanned

Old 12-30-2010, 02:40 AM
JVenger
Amateur

Originally Posted by bad venge
Does the CEL Flash ? or stay on solid ?
Have the Codes Scanned
The CEL stays on. I disconnect the EGR Valve and reconnect while the car is idling to see if I can clear it that way (I had a CEL on the EGR valve before so I figured...) Upon doing that, the CEL will remain on for about 30 miles and go away and the car will go back to normal. This only happens when the weather is cold and fail to let it warm up completely (Don't like doing that but sometimes i'm running a little late for work and drive 30 miles for work) I don't have an OBD scanner so I'm doing it blind.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Try Blocking off he EGR use a soda can to block off the rear on the manifold and see if that stops it

Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 AM
JVenger
Amateur

Bad Venge, I pulled the code. It came out as P1782. Could you help me please?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:51 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I don't have a four digit readout what did they say it was ?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 PM
JVenger
Amateur

I do believe it said something about the Tranny Control Module. My car just gets problem upon problem. Two days ago, I woke up and started the car and let it warm up for about 5 minutes. After that, I began driving and not even 10 seconds after getting it moving the check engine light cames back up with a vengance. I stopped at a gas station and visbilly inspected under the hood and found nothing out of the ordinary.Less than half a mile after moving from the gas station, engine dies with no warning. I had the stereo on and didn't notice it turning off until the lights dimmed slightly and obvisiosly lost all power. I quickly put it back in netural and turned it on again and drove it all the way to work which is about 35 miles one way. After getting out from work i went to my car, the car failed to start and had to get a jump from a guy that works there. My battery is barely 2 months old so I highly doubt its the battery. I have no clue what is going on with my car anymore and debating wether just to let her go. I would hate to let it go simply cause I love driving my avenger. Badvenge, please lend me your help.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm traveling and don't have my manual I STILL need WHAT the CEL said the TCM should have nothing to do with the motor dying I'd guess it's the EGR or CPS or an ASD relay
But need the codes to see

Quick Reply: Check engine light on cold starts