Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan - P0071

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 AM
FFMikeM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan - P0071

Hello!

I have a 2008 Dodge Grant Caravan SE with about 40,000 miles on it. Check engine light came on the other day, reads code P0071, "Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Performance."

Can anyone tell me exactly what the ambient air temperature sensor does, and where I would locate it on my vehicle so I can replace it?

Thanks!
Mike

Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 AM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you first turn the key to start your engine, the computer looks at ambient air temp (outside air temp) and engine coolant temp, as well as barometric pressure (from either MAP or MAF). Based on those parameters, it calculates whether the engine is cold or hot, whether the outside air is cold or hot and then determines how much fuel to add to get the engine started. At that point the computer is in OPEN LOOP, which means it's running off of factory programming. Once the oxygen sensors heat up to operating temperature, the computer switches to CLOSED LOOP and calculates air/fuel ratios based on what the oxygen sensor is reading. The ambient temp sensor is located in different places based on which engine you have (you didn't tell us which engine you have), but is usually in the cold air stream between the air filter and the intake manifold.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 AM
jumpdrive2
Rookie
Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 AM
FFMikeM

Originally Posted by RickMN
When you first turn the key to start your engine, the computer looks at ambient air temp (outside air temp) and engine coolant temp, as well as barometric pressure (from either MAP or MAF). Based on those parameters, it calculates whether the engine is cold or hot, whether the outside air is cold or hot and then determines how much fuel to add to get the engine started. At that point the computer is in OPEN LOOP, which means it's running off of factory programming. Once the oxygen sensors heat up to operating temperature, the computer switches to CLOSED LOOP and calculates air/fuel ratios based on what the oxygen sensor is reading. The ambient temp sensor is located in different places based on which engine you have (you didn't tell us which engine you have), but is usually in the cold air stream between the air filter and the intake manifold.
I have the 3.3L Flex Fuel

Old 12-31-2010, 08:33 AM
FFMikeM

Originally Posted by jumpdrive2

Judging by the picture, that sensor is at the bottom of the radiator?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:22 PM
jumpdrive2
Rookie

In front of radiator on lower rail between radiator and bumper.

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan - P0071