2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Smell Coolant but See No Leaks Inside or Out. Help Please??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 PM
luvdogz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell Coolant but See No Leaks Inside or Out. Help Please??

I just posted yesterday regarding the codes my truck is throwing yesterday (P0442 and P0138) asking for the expertise of the all of you on this forum and I forgot to ask about the coolant smell I've noticed lately.
I can't see any leaks anywhere. No leaks inside and no leaks outside. The temp gauge is perfect and the heat is very hot. I wanted to ask all of you what you think might be causing this smell before I go to the garage next week regarding the above codes.

My husband, who passed away, replaced the water pump last May 2010. Could some part with this be the problem? It's crazy because I can't see any fluid anywhere.

Thanks for any help, info, instructions you'd send me!!!! Pictures help tons!!!! Being a female, I need more direction than others on this forum. I like to learn about my truck and want to do whatever I can before taking it to the garage.

I appreciate your time and any help you'd give to me!!!!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:46 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you smell it while you are driving? or just parked. does it smell burnt?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM
luvdogz
Rookie
Default Smell Coolant

Thanks, Thunder98110, for replying!!! It's appreciated for sure!!!

I've only smelled it once or twice inside the cab but I always smell it when I get out. It smells sweet but not a burning smell. I can't explain it. Sometimes I think it smells old so this might be burnt for you. Sweet for sure. I'm just bugged because there are no leaks that can be seen and nothing on the ground. I've had a few people look around inside there but they couldn't see any leaks either. I'm really praying this isn't a big problem I can't see. I'm worried to ask the mechanic because they always seem to try to make a problem something it's not and this scares me.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:26 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when was the last time you filled the coolant reservoir. maybe you spilled some on the headers or something and the its just burning off of there. if the coolant level is fine, and you arent overheating I personally wouldn't think too much of it. but thats all i can think of. inspect the hoses and stuff, maybe theres a crack or a small leak you cant really notice.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:36 PM
luvdogz
Rookie
Default Smell Coolant

I just checked the level last week and it was fine so I didn't need to add any coolant. Are there any special hoses/areas I should check besides what is obvious? I've checked the obvious but not sure of the places the fluid could leak out of. If you know of any, let me know? Pictures help me alot when looking for certain hoses/areas if you have any.

Thanks, again, Thunder98110, for your help with all of this!!!! It is APPRECIATED!!!!

P.S. If it were a burnt smell I was smelling, what would you have me do?

Old 12-31-2010, 04:05 PM
cowboy63645
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the upper and lower radiator hoses, if you have not already, and check the hoses going into and out of the heater core, they are on the passenger side of the engine bay.. Also, check the thermostat housing, it ends at the motor side of the upper radiator hose. Have you checked the carpet on the passenger side floor board to see if it is wet? If it is then you have a heater core leaking. I had a similar problem, and it ended up being the upper radiator hose leaking around the thermostat housing, and it was burning off as fast as it was leaking. Hope this helps you some.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:16 PM
cowboy63645
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will run out and take some pictures of the hoses that need checked so you have a reference to go off of. Mine might be a little different though, so you might have to do some checking around under the hood to be sure.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:17 PM
luvdogz
Rookie
Default Smell Coolant

Thanks, Cowboy63645!!!! I will check these hoses (hope I can find them!). I'm sure they're obvious?

There is no leak/moisture on the passenger's side floor. Is this a good sign? This smell is one I definitely don't want to tell the mechanic about because I've read lots of threads about this problem on this forum and they can take me for $$$$ if I'm unsure.

I'll check these hoses and also the charcoal canister hoses for my P0442 code in the next couple of days. It's been very cold here and it's going to get into the 40's..... it's gonna be a heatwave!!!!!

Thanks, again!!!! I do appreciate your help and your time!!!!

Quick Reply: Smell Coolant but See No Leaks Inside or Out. Help Please??