Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

powersteering pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:30 PM
reaganator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powersteering pump replacement

my 2005 caravan p/s pump might need to be replaced. it is getting pretty noisy sometimes and sometime its quiet ??? do i need to replace it before it really does go out or is there something else i can try ? note... the fluid level has always been good. the vehicle has 104000 miles, and.... what is the best way to get to the pump looks like its back in a cave,,,just my luck !

Old 12-30-2010, 03:43 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the Caravan section,
FF

Old 12-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When does it make noise? If it doesn't make noise until it is warmed up, you could have a screen plugging in the p/s reservoir.

The power steering pump actually comes out the top after you remove the cowl / wiper module. Just have to go underneith to disconnect the steering pressure line.

REMOVAL - PUMP (3.3L/3.8L ENGINE)
  1. Remove the (-) negative battery cable from the battery and isolate cable.
  2. Remove the wiper module (unit).
  3. Raise the vehicle.
  4. Remove the drive belt splash shield.
  5. Remove the pressure hose routing bracket bolt.
  6. lower the vehicle.
  7. Remove cap from power steering fluid reservoir.
  8. Using a siphon pump, remove as much power steering fluid as possible from the power steering fluid reservoir.
  9. Disconnect the pressure hose from the pump.
  10. Disconnect the fluid supply hose from the pump.
  11. Remove the three front mounting bolts through the pulley
  12. Remove the pump (with pulley) through the engine compartment rocking it over the aluminum bracket.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:42 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the post below before you replace the pump. Clogged screen at bottom of reservoir is most common cause of this problem. The fix is to replace the reservoir--it's about $25

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...ysler-vehicles

Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean the screen is a great start, Ive had great sucess with Lucas Power steering treatment http://www.lucasoil.com/articlelist1...eringTreatment

Old 12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's possibe the screen in the reservoir is plugging too.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Default Reservoir replacement???

Originally Posted by hemi4spd
clean the screen is a great start, Ive had great sucess with Lucas Power steering treatment http://www.lucasoil.com/articlelist1...eringTreatment
Like the OP, I've been getting a lot of noise from the power steering on my 2003 GC Sport. Yesterday, I had the vehicle in my local mechanic's shop for some other repairs and I asked him about this. He said that the reservoir filter was clogged, and I should replace the reservoir.

@hemi4spd: The link you provided takes me to the page for Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. I don't have a leak. I did see the other power steering product they offer, Lucas Oil Power Steering Fluid w/Conditioners. Which one of the products are you recommending? And is this any good for a reservoir where the filter is already clogged?

Is there a maintenance schedule for replacing the power steering fluid?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

i normally flush whenever it's dark. with it running look down into the res and see if you have a swirling whirlpool in your res. it sounds like airation and it's pretty common. if you have the lil whirlpool and your fluid is dark flush it out (or take a line loose at the rack and let it drain but youll have to burp it if you do this not hard though) you can add lucas. it does help alott with noise (even a tsb for adding it aswell) and then get an old oil bottle. cut out a square. doesn't need to huge or tiny. but enough that you curl it a bit to get it in the res. what this does is break the vortex and keep it from sucking air down the middle (think of your tub draining).
a tech rep told us that years ago and it does work if that's your prob.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:29 PM
mate

These instructions dont mention the belt that works this pump, can some on please describe the instructions to remove the belt from the power steering pully?

I'm working on my 98 grand caravan power steering pump 3.3 engine and it looks the same as the instructions.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:00 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

look at the auto adjuster it has a square in it. fit the socket and pry it back to loosing belt. done. there is a tool for this but that's how I done it.

Originally Posted by mate
These instructions dont mention the belt that works this pump, can some on please describe the instructions to remove the belt from the power steering pully?

I'm working on my 98 grand caravan power steering pump 3.3 engine and it looks the same as the instructions.

Quick Reply: powersteering pump replacement