3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

42RLE Transmission problems

Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Rage-aholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42RLE Transmission problems

My 2005 Dakota has 76000 miles on it now. For the last month and a half the tranny has been slipping when trying to come out of overdrive. I have also noticed that if I take off hard from a dead stop the tranny feels like its slipping a little during acceleration, so I dont do that unless it cant be avoided. I have changed the tranny filter and throttle position sensor hoping one of those would maraculously fix it, but to no avail. I guess my question is should I have the tranny rebuilt or buy a new one? I know a new one will cost twice as much, but it also gives a little peace of mind knowing that a shop didnt have Bubba's inbred brother use my tranny as his first rebuild. I can do engine work, but have never worked on a tranmission and dont want to attemp a rebuild on the only vehicle I have. Does anyone know where I should look for the lowest price on a new transmission?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

I would think about having it checked before I would dive into a rebuild/replacement. Could be something simple.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:47 PM
rengnath
Champion

I just had a slipping problem; turned out to be the line pressure sensor. I would take it to a shop and have them try and diagnose the problem. With these transmissions, normally worst case senario is a valve body rebuild. Its not often that the whole transmission needs an overhaul until it gets past 200k+ miles. How many miles are on it?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Wink

Originally Posted by rage-aholic
My 2005 Dakota has 76000 miles on it now
Originally Posted by rengnath
How many miles are on it?

You hitting the cold ones already???

Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

has to be something simple, my 05 has 101000, miles on it and i still launch the snot out of it every chance i get,

Old 01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You hitting the cold ones already???
It is Friday... com'on man, get your party on!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM
rengnath
Champion

Thirsty Thursday was rough .... I may still be drunk from last night.

At 76k, I highly doubt it needs a rebuild unless it was severly abused. I would definetly take it to a shop that specializes in transmission work and have them diagnose the problem. They should be able to plug in to your OBD II port and get up to date readings on all the sensors and see if they are operating properly. My truck had a slow responding pressure sensor and was the only thing they could find so thats what we decided to replace.

Last edited by rengnath; 01-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:10 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
It is Friday... com'on man, get your party on!
1 more hour.....

Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Default ???

a sonax line boost will fix that?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:39 PM
bruno426
Captain

Originally Posted by Rage-aholic
My 2005 Dakota has 76000 miles on it now. For the last month and a half the tranny has been slipping when trying to come out of overdrive. I have also noticed that if I take off hard from a dead stop the tranny feels like its slipping a little during acceleration, so I dont do that unless it cant be avoided. I have changed the tranny filter and throttle position sensor hoping one of those would maraculously fix it, but to no avail. I guess my question is should I have the tranny rebuilt or buy a new one? I know a new one will cost twice as much, but it also gives a little peace of mind knowing that a shop didnt have Bubba's inbred brother use my tranny as his first rebuild. I can do engine work, but have never worked on a tranmission and dont want to attemp a rebuild on the only vehicle I have. Does anyone know where I should look for the lowest price on a new transmission?
This is gonna sound crazy, but ebay has several companies that have reman ones with an unlimited miles warranty, and two-5 year time frames on them.

Really tho, what I would do is this. But this is just me now. Buy one that is worn out for like 300, and get the parts to rebuild it. Parts for my 518 were only like $225 if you want you can get a reman torque converter too for like another 100. $625 vs 1200-1800 that you will pay for a reman job/one, and the 2000-4000 you will pay for a new one.

Then when you have some time off, put it in. If it works wonderful, take the time to rebuild the other one, and sell it. If not, well that is the down side, at least you got the hands on experience of putting one together, and that is worth quite a bit. Plus then you can take it in to be rebuilt and drive while that is happening.

Just me. Transmissions aren't that bad to rebuild if you take your time, and keep everything clean and within spec. I used to be afraid of the idea, until I did my first one, found out that they are really quite easy as long as you have all your specs on hand. The thing that sucks to rebuild is a valve body.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 42RLE Transmission problems