2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Rear Differential Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 02:39 PM
alienyzf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Differential Oil Change?

Anyone done this on their own? Does anyone know how to correctly perform this task with the sway bar being connected to the back of the diff? If you took it to the dealer, how much did they change you for this?

Thanks in advance.
John

Old 06-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker
Default RE: Rear Differential Oil Change?

Just out of curiosity, why would you be doing this on a vehicle that probably doesn't have high mileage? I know vehicles that have had over 100 thousand miles on them and never had the rear messed with. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:40 PM
alienyzf
Professional

Just following the manual with the specs made by engineers. They probably have have some clue about the longetivity of our vehicles and the maintenance required to get there. They do go to school for at least 4 years and then have some first hand knowledge to back them up. I doubt your explaination would do anything to save a waranty repair in the given 7/70 period when they pour out black smokey oil abundant with metal shavings.

Please be a pal and respond without the ignorance.

ORIGINAL: Last Of The R/Ts

Just out of curiosity, why would you be doing this on a vehicle that probably doesn't have high mileage? I know vehicles that have had over 100 thousand miles on them and never had the rear messed with. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: alienyzf

Just following the manual with the specs made by engineers. They probably have have some clue about the longetivity of our vehicles and the maintenance required to get there. They do go to school for at least 4 years and then have some first hand knowledge to back them up. I doubt your explaination would do anything to save a waranty repair in the given 7/70 period when they pour out black smokey oil abundant with metal shavings.

Please be a pal and respond without the ignorance.

Fist off it is your response that was the first case of ignorance we had here. Secondly, I am just telling you what I have seen and what I know is best. My father has been a mechanic for 40+ years. I think he would know better than some wet behind the ears technician. Thirdly, if you go by the manual, you obviously do not know that they will try to get you in the shop every chance they can possibly get. It is just as much a marketing scheme as a tool of reference. But you go ahead and follow your little checklists and make sure you are first in line at Dodge on Saturdays and get your free Icee for spending so much unecessary money. It seems like I see who lacks the education here...........

Old 06-27-2005, 02:15 PM
alienyzf
Professional

Would I be asking if I didn't perform my own maintenance? I do not have a service manual and that is why I posted the question, to possibly get some torque specs and or some tricks to make it easier. You go ahead and listen to your daddy. Boy.

Fist off it is your response that was the first case of ignorance we had here. Secondly, I am just telling you what I have seen and what I know is best. My father has been a mechanic for 40+ years. I think he would know better than some wet behind the ears technician. Thirdly, if you go by the manual, you obviously do not know that they will try to get you in the shop every chance they can possibly get. It is just as much a marketing scheme as a tool of reference. But you go ahead and follow your little checklists and make sure you are first in line at Dodge on Saturdays and get your free Icee for spending so much unecessary money. It seems like I see who lacks the education here...........
[/quote]

Old 06-27-2005, 05:18 PM
jasonwyo
Veteran

I agree that the frequency in the service manual suggest is way to often. You can open the plug and stick your finger in it and feel the fluid. If it looks clean and free of debris or burnt odor I wouldn't bother.

I did have my differential fluid changed in my 99 ram, only because I drove through a little too much water and sucked it in. I believe I paid about $40/axle at a quick lube place.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 AM
JerryD

Actually, I'd err on the side of caution for the warranty period. If you don't have documented proof that you followed at least Schedule A or B, you'll have a hard time getting something fixed under the plan. After it's up, common sense should rule. Yeah, yeah .. check the diff - stick your finger in... Well there's a TSB on this very item for '04 Rams, D's and Dakota's.

The axle fill holes on some 2004 Dodge Truck axles may be located considerably higher that the actual fluid level. Filling the axle until the fluid comes out of the fill hole will over fill the axle, which could cause fluid foaming. When checking fluid level or filling a rear axle with fluid, you must measure distance from the bottom of the fill hole to the actual fluid level. This can easily be accomplished using a pipe cleaner or piece of wire. Make a 90 degree bend in the wire 2 inches from the end. The wire can then be inserted into the axle fill hole to use as a dipstick. Measure the distance from the bend to the oil level, The fluid levels for the axles are shown in the table below.
And even if someones a "wet behind the ears technician" or "a mechanic for 40+ years", I think there's always room to learn something.

As far as cost, the labor estimator I looked at said .7 of an hour. For what it's worth...

HTH,
Jerry

Old 06-28-2005, 05:35 AM
Saint
Veteran

Everything I've ever worked on, HMMWV, 7-ton, 5-ton, LVS, Skytrak MMV, John Deere Tram, Case 1150/1155, Cat D7, D8 620B, all have a recommended change interval for anything with gears, Differential, Final Drives, and Hubs, and with the exception of the 7-ton truck, everything in the Marine Corps is close to as old as me, even the Brand New gear is almost a decade old, and everything still runs fine. I don't care how long someone has been a mechanic it doesn't mean they know a damn thing, I've met mechanics that have been around for 40+ years like your Father and they don't know half as much as the Mechanics that work for me that have been wrenching for maybe 10 years. Honestly, yes the Manufacturer's recomendations are a little too frequent, but by no means should you go 100,000 miles without ever changing your Differential Fluid, that's just stupid. On my HE gear usually we change the fluid once a year, sometimes twice depending on how much use the gear gets, I would recommend the same for your vehicle, about every 12-15,000 miles.

I'm not exactly sure what the torque specs are for the 8.25" rear end, but the 9.25" is 25 ft-lbs for the bolts, which you should be able to do by hand with out the need for a torque wrench. I just used a wrench instead of a breaker bar to get underneath the sway bar, and was able to pull the cover off that way. I would remove the spare tire before starting because it opens an amazing amount of room to work under there especially if you have access to a lift.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: alienyzf

Would I be asking if I didn't perform my own maintenance? I do not have a service manual and that is why I posted the question, to possibly get some torque specs and or some tricks to make it easier. You go ahead and listen to your daddy. Boy.

Would you like a shovel? It will help with your digging, LMAO. Anyways, have you even bothered to check the fluid before you go about this on your own????? Also, if you are performing the maintenance yourself, what documented proof will you have if you have to take it to the dealer besides some receipts which I highly doubt they will honor. By the way how many miles does your truck have on it?

Old 06-28-2005, 03:10 PM
alienyzf
Professional

[sm=lame.gif]

[/quote]

Would you like a shovel? It will help with your digging, LMAO. Anyways, have you even bothered to check the fluid before you go about this on your own????? Also, if you are performing the maintenance yourself, what documented proof will you have if you have to take it to the dealer besides some receipts which I highly doubt they will honor. By the way how many miles does your truck have on it?
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Oil Change?