4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

2" Mopar Leveling Kit Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 PM
zman9788
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" Mopar Leveling Kit Problems

So after reading the posts on here I determined that I should be safe going with the Mopar 2" leveling kit. Kit was $212 with tax and dealer charged me $196 for install and alignment. It looks great, and drove fine in 2WD. However, before buying $1400 in tires, I checked to make sure it worked in 4WD. Unfortunately, I have the "Death Wobble"/4WD Shudder. Dealer said they think it is the kit and the only fix is to remove it, for another $200. I called Mopar and they said they have had no problems with this kit and have sold 100's of them. Took it to another dealer and they could only figure from a test drive that it was the sharper angles at the CV joints. They would not investigate further without charging $86/hr for labor. As it stands, I have filed a complaint with Dodge and I am waiting to hear back. I need feedback of anyone else who has this Mopar kit installed and if they have had any problems with it, specifically while in 4WD. I know some of the other kits have problems, but I thought this one was working for people. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
sking
Veteran

I thought the Mopar leveling kit was removed from catalog do to problems?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:55 PM
sensor5

After some rersearch, I decided not to level my 2011 4x4 QC. It seems ones who don't have problems right away, have problems 10,000 to 20,000 miles down the road.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
2002kasner

What are your specs on your truck, body type motor? Only problem your going to have is since the mopar leveling kit is considered a performance part any damages or any work related to the kit will not be covered under warrenty and could eve void parts of your 36k mile warranty... I know stupid right but the info is all over the warranty page on the mopar site. Either have a buddy take it off for you or start reading how to take it off as almost every leveling kit will cause the shakes. Its not the kits its the front end of our trucks and how they were made. Leveling a ram is just about as good as jumping in front of traffic. Bound to break! Some have luck with them but that's only about 5 percent of the time it seems

Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
jball
Professional

I've installed a 2" kits on 2 different trucks, both had issues. It doesnt matter if it's a mopar or diamond encrusted ebay spacer kit... it's still 2" taller and the CV's are at the same angle with either kit. (There are other differences with the kits at other points in the wheel travel, but that's been discussed before).

I think it's because the motor mounts are too soft and the motor / front diff torque rotates it too much, creating a lot steeper angle on one side than the other. Only practical way to fix it would be to remove it (unless you can get some custom motor mounts made). You can take it back off yourself, it's not that difficult... you will still need to get another alignment.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still cannot beleive you are having all of these issue's. I know a guy on here who has had one on for 45k and he says still no issues. I know I have 13k on mine and now issues. I even had them inspect everything last time it was in and no abnormal wear. Sounds like it is 4" lift kit time!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
zman9788

I realize it voids warranties, but if Mopar knew it would cause problems, why did they allow it to go through as an order. No where in the directions does it say it will cause 4WD issues. Only warning is that it makes your vehicle higher and more prone to roll over. It is a faulty part from delivery and I feel Dodge should take responsibility. I will keep you all updated. Guy at the other dealer stated that the 4" Kit comes with brackets to lower/raise front differential to maintain stock angles with the CV joints; you would think someone would make a bracket kit for the 2" level kit? Maybe that would solve the issues?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
2002kasner

The 4" lift when I called my two local dealerships was upwards in the 2875 buck range. Mopar really had us all by the ***** with this damn topic. Level the front end and gamble, or pay the almost 3k just in a lift not including the 800+ labor bill dodge quoted me to install.... ill pass, but let us know for sure what they say. The totally shouldnt have sold it to you. Everyone there at the stealership knew there were issues with the level. Figure they can make more money off you being pissed than happy it worked out

Old 01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
zman9788

Chrysler Customer Care Case Manager said there is nothing they can do for me. Waiting to hear back from case manager supervisor. Dealer will do nothing. The guy at Mopar said that they will not stand up to Chrysler in this situation, as he said it would be equivalent to "taking a bullet" for me and he would probably get fired for challenging Chrysler. Therefore he quoted the mopar warranty, stating there is no warranty on this part. I guess only two guys work at the Mopar Tech Support Center. He said he would at least speak with one of the engineers and let me know what can be done. Doubt I will get any positive feedback. Spoke with another dealer and he thinks there is a little wiggle room with the front differential bolts and it could possibly be adjusted slightly if drive shaft angle the problem. That may be my last resort, but he will be charging me for that work; so be it. I just want it to work without problems.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
zman9788
Default Mopar Leveling Kit Issue Update

So I was able to get another dealer to take a second look at the truck. The guys at Mopar actually set me up with a guy they know well at one of the dealers. They noted the problem and I left it for the day. They did some research and found a tech tip that states, "wobble/shudder in 4WD only is a known condition and no repairs are to be made". I spoke to case manager supervisor at Chrysler Customer Care and told her my concerns of it causing something to break later down the line. She said we will cross that bridge if something does break. So basically I am just going to live with it. Buying tires tomorrow. I think I'll send Chrysler a letter expressing my disappointment and list all of the problems I've had in only 15k miles (Howling door seals, 4WD drive shudder, Chrome badges wearing/peeling in 5000 miles....etc.) I'll post pics of the finished job this week hopefully.

Quick Reply: 2" Mopar Leveling Kit Problems