2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 ram 1500 ignition switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM
wulfgar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 ram 1500 ignition switch problem

as the title says i can turn the key to run without any restance.
a friend noticed the problem on the steering wheel side there is a black screw that seems to have backed out. i have been able to start my truck useing a flat head driver by putting it between the screw and the silver L shaped plate and gentle twisting it till i see the tumble suck in. i havent been able to tighten the screw cause its tight between the steering wheel. is the backed out screw the problem? and if i replace the ignition switch will that screw be part of it? arrow points to the screw

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2011, 04:45 PM
wulfgar
Amateur
Default better pic

sorry about the bad pic heres a better one. i just want to know if tighting that screw will fix the problem and if the screw is part of a replacement ignition thanks all

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Buellstunter
Professional

That screw will not turn in any further. I recently replaced my ignition switch with one from advanced auto parts. cost $35 for a BWD brand. and it comes with that screw and the little metal "L" shaped plate.. The screw only has a few threads at the end, If I remember correctly it has something to do with holding the lock tumbler in. You can get the whole unit with new keys for $70 from advanced as well if you don't want to switch out your lock tumbler and use your original key. NOTE: the screws to hold the switch in are the tamper proof torx type. Meaning in the center of the screw head there is a post sticking up. A regular torx bit will not work.

Last edited by Buellstunter; 01-31-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 PM
wulfgar
Amateur
Default thanks

thanks man thats what i needed to know

Quick Reply: 1994 ram 1500 ignition switch problem