2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

1999 Intrepid Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 PM
chrishalling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Intrepid Transmission problems

Last Sunday my wife took her intrepid out to pick up a friend. When she went to leave her friends house the car would not engage in reverse. I went there the next day to see if I could troubleshoot any easy problems. There was enough trans fluid and it wasnt burnt. After I first started the car I was able to put in reverse but like a moron I pulled it in drive and continued to check it out. After that I could not get it in reverse again. Finally I shut it off and waited and got it in reverse again, long enough to leave the driveway. I put it in drive and drove all the way home. Now I cannot get it to engage reverse at all. It will engage in the forward gears but not reverse. I did a fluid and filter change but it didnt work. Can anyone else help me out with other possible problems? Thanks alot.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to guess the reverse input clutches have failed. That's the same symptoms my brother went thru on his minivan. The test I'd do would be to put a pressure gauge on the transmission reverse port and see what pressure is. If pressure is good, then most likely the clutches have failed. If pressure is low or nonexistant, then probably has a failed seal.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 PM
chrishalling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I test the pressure? How high a gauge will I need? I have a spark plug pressure tester but I am guessing that wont work.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'd think that if you were working on a transmission, the pressure gauge to use would be a transmission pressure gauge. You would have to find a pressure port on the transmission where you connect a pressure gauge that would allow you to measure the pressure. Ever heard of an oil pressure gauge? When your engine is running the oil pump pressurizes the oil galleys which is the pathway to the bearings and such. In a transmission, when you select a gear, a series of valves directs fluid to apply a clutch via a piston of various designs. This pressure can be measured by removing a plug in the side of the transmission, installing a gauge capable of measuring up to 300 psi. You start the vehicle and see what pressure is applying to the reverse input clutch. Approximate pressure would be over 250psi. You could adapt your compression tester is you don't mind destroying it with filling it with oil.

Quick Reply: 1999 Intrepid Transmission problems