Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Possible turbo problem

Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Leprechaun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible turbo problem

2003 Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
So on my way to work today i had the cruise on at 110km then all of a sudden the truck seemed to be struggling to keep it at 110, so i turned the cruise off and tried getting it up to speed with the peddle, i got it up to 120 but if i pushed the peddle more then a quarter of the way down the truck would start to struggle again, very confused I think it could either be the turbo, fuel filter, or injectors. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably not the turbo, when was the last fuel filter change, sounds like its starved for fuel....

Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Leprechaun

I bought the truck with 205000km on it, now has 260000 and i haven't changed it, funny thing is I booked my buddies lift for the day next week, and was planning on doing all the filters, sway bar bushings, center link and a couple other things. I went out on my break to go get coffee the truck will now struggle to start up then dies immediately, ive got an hour drive home in the morning!!!, if its just the fuel filter can you give me a quick step by step on how to do it and any tools il need, i worked at a dealership for a while so im fairly mechanically inclined, Ive done fuel filters before but never on a diesel. I will own you big time if you help me out and save me $450 in tow fees to get home.

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
probably not the turbo, when was the last fuel filter change, sounds like its starved for fuel....

Old 02-04-2011, 01:17 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the filter is located just forward of the brake master cylinder and very easy to change, just spin the top off and change the element, however with the starting issue it may be a failed lift pump, which should be located below the filter on the side of the engine, start with the filter, and if it doesnt help, open the drain on the bottom of the filter housing, bump the key as if trying to start, and leave in the run position, this will make the pump run, if a continious stream is coming from the drain, the pump is ok, if not you need a new pump

Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 AM
Leprechaun

Awesome, thanks man I owe you huge, hopefully its just the filter. If not and I need a new pump should I stick with oem or upgrade, I hate putting money into a vehicle when its not aftermarket or an upgrade lol

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
the filter is located just forward of the brake master cylinder and very easy to change, just spin the top off and change the element, however with the starting issue it may be a failed lift pump, which should be located below the filter on the side of the engine, start with the filter, and if it doesnt help, open the drain on the bottom of the filter housing, bump the key as if trying to start, and leave in the run position, this will make the pump run, if a continious stream is coming from the drain, the pump is ok, if not you need a new pump

Last edited by Leprechaun; 02-04-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Leprechaun

ok so i went out on my break and took the fuel filter out and tried to start the truck and no luck, i was playing around with a lever right below the fuel filter and when its facing the front of the truck nothing happens but when i turn it towards the driver side fuel started leaking from somewhere near the level just curious what this is and why it leaks, also 2 days ago i got stuck in the snow and it was up to my mirror is it possible for the truck to have sucked up some snow and now water got in the engine??
I cannot test to see if its the is working pump because its dark out and ive got no tools, but thats next on the to do list

Old 02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Waxman

That's the water drain valve for the fuel filter. There's a tube at the bottom which directs the fuel away and comes out just above the front diff. I usually place a cup on the front diff then open the valve so I can see what comes out. (If there's water or not) This yellow lever/valve is closed when forward and open when moved away from the block. Dodge owners manual suggests draining for water every fill. There's also a sensor in the filter housing so when water gets to that point it turns on a warning/idiot light on the dash.

That's actually the tube and lever dodgetrucker75 was talking about. I would also not run your truck without the filter. Debris which sits in the bottom of the filter housing could get stirred up and sucked in the system and cause new problems for you. Do the flow test with the new filter installed.

Can't see that your snow adventure allowed snow or water into your fuel system or engine. (Certainly not up through this drain tube) If water was in your system water has larger molecules than the fuel and will cause MAJOR damage to the injection pump if it get's past the filter separator housing.

I have a couple other ideas but should run down what dodgetrucker75 mentioned first.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Leprechaun

I know its not good to run without a fuel filter I just wanted to see if it would start up which it didn't, if the filter was the problem it would of started up without one correct? I'm leaning more towards the pump but wont know for sure till i get it home and test it, lucky for me im a gold caa memeber the tow home would of cost me 450$$$ My old man was talking to a buddy of his and he said you need a special tool to replace the pump is this true and can someone post a link to this tool if it is. Also my lever is black but i know what your talking about

Originally Posted by Waxman
That's the water drain valve for the fuel filter. There's a tube at the bottom which directs the fuel away and comes out just above the front diff. I usually place a cup on the front diff then open the valve so I can see what comes out. (If there's water or not) This yellow lever/valve is closed when forward and open when moved away from the block. Dodge owners manual suggests draining for water every fill. There's also a sensor in the filter housing so when water gets to that point it turns on a warning/idiot light on the dash.

That's actually the tube and lever dodgetrucker75 was talking about. I would also not run your truck without the filter. Debris which sits in the bottom of the filter housing could get stirred up and sucked in the system and cause new problems for you. Do the flow test with the new filter installed.

Can't see that your snow adventure allowed snow or water into your fuel system or engine. (Certainly not up through this drain tube) If water was in your system water has larger molecules than the fuel and will cause MAJOR damage to the injection pump if it get's past the filter separator housing.

I have a couple other ideas but should run down what dodgetrucker75 mentioned first.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Waxman

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...........

If the truck is an 03 the only special tool I know of you would need is a gear puller. You have to remove the gear from the pump for installation on the new pump as well as removal from the engine.

As for trying to start it without a filter, I would think it should start if there's no water in there and you have lift pump pressure. I however wouldn't risk the debris getting to the injection pump and the injectors. Depending on the size you might clog an injector as the tolerances are very tight. (Our filters clean somewhere down to 7 microns) At +/- 1K for the pump and 100 for each injector to rebuild not sure I would take the chance..........

Old 02-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Leprechaun

Definatly wont be trying to start it without the filter again I was just pissed off at the truck lol I'm going to buy a repair manual for the truck any tools needed should be in the book aswell correct?

Originally Posted by Waxman
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...........

If the truck is an 03 the only special tool I know of you would need is a gear puller. You have to remove the gear from the pump for installation on the new pump as well as removal from the engine.

As for trying to start it without a filter, I would think it should start if there's no water in there and you have lift pump pressure. I however wouldn't risk the debris getting to the injection pump and the injectors. Depending on the size you might clog an injector as the tolerances are very tight. (Our filters clean somewhere down to 7 microns) At +/- 1K for the pump and 100 for each injector to rebuild not sure I would take the chance..........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible turbo problem