Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2004 Stratus 2.7 Oil light

Old 02-05-2011, 06:50 AM
StrikeForce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Stratus 2.7 Oil light

Just baught it last night.

Ok i have a few problems so the #1 is when I excelerate and driving down the road it will not come on..But when i come to a stop in idle the oil light comes on. Not low on oil..There is a valve cover gasket leak could this be the problem?

2. Front seat belts will not release to put them on. I am surprised this car is in really good shape in and out to have this problem.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:31 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. There is no way a leak from the valve cover is going to cause the oil pressure light issue. Think about that, the oil light is measuring pressure, the valve cover has no pressure what so ever. The only correlation would be that you are very low on oil because of the leak. So to address the light, you have 2 possiblilities: 1st, the sending unit is bad/weak, 2nd your engine is shot.

2. It doesn't surprise me that you have this minor issue. What surprises me is that you don't have a lot more problems.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:27 PM
FrankTA2
Amateur
Default Oil light

Could be the oil pump is on it's way out. That's why when the engine RPM's are higher (accelerating) the light goes out.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM
StrikeForce
Default Oil Light

Ok..I do have oil so that is not the issue. I am going to have it checked by a Dodge pro tomorrow.
The car runs fine no issues with performance.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 PM
22DODGE22

You must be rich, the Dodge dealer is going to soak you on this. Why not just check oil pressure and if OK, replace sending unit? Any small corner garage can do this.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

There is a TSB for this problem, But if you want it. Send me a pm with your email address,because some members don't like when i post a TSB.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM
22DODGE22

For a non-mechanic, a TSB can be very difficult to decifer. It would be more personal and direct responce to summarize a TSB for those unfamiliar with the lingo and format of the TSB.

Here's the bulliten.

NO: 08-36-99
SUBJECT: Engine Oil Pressure Light Flicker
DATE: Oct. 15, 1999
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves adding a terminal/wire/vent to the oil pressure switch connector.

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.7L ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
With a hot engine the oil pressure light may be on or flicker on at idle.

DIAGNOSIS:
Verify engine oil pressure as described on page 9-21 of the service manual (Publication No. 81-270-9140). If engine oil pressure is within specification perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 05017800AA Wire Terminal/Vent

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Raise vehicle on a suitable hoist.
Remove engine oil pressure switch connector from switch.
Remove sealing dart from the empty cavity at the rear of the connector.
Pull terminal locking ring outward from front (switch) side of connector to gain access to terminal locking tabs.
Install wire terminal/vent, p/n 05017800AA, in place of the removed sealing dart. Slide locking ring back into place.
Attach the connector back on the oil pressure switch.
Spot tape the wire/vent to follow the harness towards the top of the engine compartment.

Last edited by 22DODGE22; 02-06-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:01 PM
FrankTA2
Amateur
Default Tsb

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
For a non-mechanic, a TSB can be very difficult to decifer. It would be more personal and direct responce to summarize a TSB for those unfamiliar with the lingo and format of the TSB.

Here's the bulliten.

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves adding a terminal/wire/vent to the oil pressure switch connector.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

DIAGNOSIS:
Verify engine oil pressure as described on page 9-21 of the service manual (Publication No. 81-270-9140). If engine oil pressure is within specification perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Pull terminal locking ring outward from front (switch) side of connector to gain access to terminal locking tabs.
Install wire terminal/vent, p/n 05017800AA, in place of the removed sealing dart. Slide locking ring back into place.
Spot tape the wire/vent to follow the harness towards the top of the engine compartment.
I don't think a TSB issued in 1999 would apply to a 2004 vehicle.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:54 PM
22DODGE22

You just never know. I've seen TSB's cover over a 10 year span. But this is the only TSB on file for the 2.7 oil pressure senders

Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM
santa6
Default what?

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22

Here's the bulliten.

OVERVIEW:

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

DIAGNOSIS:

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

My daughter's 2004 Sebring convertible 2.7L has the blinking oil light at low rpms. Now starting to blink or stay on at higher rpms so we stopped driving it. No engine noise at all - still nice and smooth and hope to keep it that way.

This TSB makes NO sense to me. I bought the $27 wire today, P/N 05017800AA. If you follow these instructions - and I've seen this TSB posted on numerous sites with same instructions - you end up with the original wire connected to the original sensor and a new $27 18g wire sticking out of the hole where the plastic sealing dart used to be. You then tape off this new wire to a convenient existing wire harness.

HELLO!!!!! am I the only one out here who is not buying this???

I would greatly appreciate some clarification on this one. The car is apart in the garage and I'd like to get it back together but this just seems like a complete joke.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Stratus 2.7 Oil light