1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango Dies On idle

Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Lynne07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango Dies On idle

I need help! I have a 1998 Durango and recently it has developed a nasty habit of dying on idle. Recently as in four days ago, and I'm lost as to what is wrong. I went to take my daughter to school, started up, and soon as it did, rpms faded out and the truck died, silently, no noises, no sputter, no wanring except the dash lights dimmed and rpms dropped. Started right back up instantly though, and ran like a top the rest of the trip and week. Saturday morning, went to an appointment, truck was driven roughly 25 miles each way, ran fine, no idle issue, no dying, started perfectly. Got home a little after noon, truck sat there until 6 p.m. we took off grocery shopping, ran fine again. Upon leaving the grocery store though, started the truck, it died instantly, no fanfare again, nothing except fading dash lights, rpms dropped and died. It took a dozen attempts but we finally got out of the parking lot and on the highway, and long as I kept my foot on the gas, and drove with both feet, one on the brake and one on the gas at red lights, we made it home and soon as we got in the yard and slowed down, it died. Next day hubby went checking over everything, you can hear the fuel pump kick in on starting, we have great heat, so no leaking heater core, least I hope...and this morning, I went out at 30 degrees to warm up the truck to get my daughter to the bus and it sat there and idled like a kitten purring and warmed right up, we went out, got in, put it in reverse, moved a few feet, it faded out and died....started right back up, I was able to finish turning around, got out the drive and to the bottom of our road where it promptly died as soon as I came to a stop to wait on the bus. Started it back up, kept my foot on the gas, revved it above 1000 rpms, and it was fine as long as I had that lead foot, she got on the bus, I put it in gear to turn around and come back up the hill, it died again, started right back up, I gave it gas came home, got in the yard, it faded out and died again. We have thought it was the CPS, but we had a jeep that the CPS went out on, and this isn't acting like that did, it doesn't die with the gas pedal down, that jeep I had died anywhere, including in traffic with gas pedal down, so I'm kinda ruling the CPS out. Any ideas? I really need my truck in running order, we have upcomg OB Appointments, and need reliable transportation, it has a little over 107,000 miles on it and the worst problem I have ever had with it has been a bad auto shut down fuse, and that looks fine from what I can see. This truck has been a jewel, and I love it, and dont want to lose it now. oh, also, it just had this happen to it, 2 weeks ago the vents stopped working, you put it on vent, it doesn't click open and blow in the floor or front, but it still blows out the top next to the windshield on vent and defrost.

1998 Durango
107,000 plus miles on it
4WD
V8

Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When was the last time you serviced or changed the battery? How about the alternator? Strange as it may sound, our Ds have a habit of not playing nicely with a bad battery. the computers on-board need a certain voltage constantly running through them for them to work properly. Have the battery checked out and if need be, replace it. Check the alt as well, sometimes bad batteries will affect the charging system. HTH.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i agree with the battery being one culprit (they only tend to last about 4 years anyway in these trucks) and the other t hing to look at is the IAC motor in the back on the throttle body

Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Lynne07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery is about three years old, so it could be, it just puzzles me that if you take your foot off the gas to let it idle it just simply fades right away..rpms drop, dash lights just dim right out and the truck dies. Starts right back up though and runs as long as I keep that gas pedal pressed. Hubby has his Haynes out scanning it over, we thought maybe injectors needed cleaning, or bad gas maybe, so we put heet and seafoam in...will tell him to check the IAC, we're hoping it isn't the CPS...been there, done that, not looking forward to that with this vehicle. Thanks for the help, we'll try your suggestions, and hopefully more will provide their input too.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the bad battery theory. Have it load tested to make sure it's up to par.

May also be a gummed up TB and IAC sensor. I suggest you remove and clean the TB with spray carb cleaner especially the tip of the IAC sensor and the IAC port on the TB. Be careful not to push or pull on the tip of the sensor or you could cause damage to the inside. Replace the TB using a new TB gasket, disconnect the negative battery terminal for 1-2 minutes to reset the PCM, start the engine, let it idle and come up to operating temp. Switch it off and then restart. If the problem still exists, you may need to replace the IAC sensor and reset the PCM again. Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Durango Dies On idle