1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Won't shift out of 1st gear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:21 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't shift out of 1st gear.

So my wife was driving to work this morning, about a 30 mile drive. Everything was fine until she got close to work. Came to a stop sign and when she took off again the tranny wouldn't shift out of 1st gear.

It's a 98 with the 5.9. Just had a fluid and filter change done a week ago due to another (probably related) issue. That time it acted like it was slipping, had to rev up high to get moving, but then it would stay moving pretty well.

Just had Advance Auto hook up the scanner, computer has no codes.

Any ideas on what the cause might be? And how big of a job to fix? I really can't afford to pay a tranny shop at the moment if this is something I can get done in my driveway. (Although the idea of a 30 mile drive home at 5-10 mph isn't appealing, either.)

I'd much appreciate any thoughts, experience, and wisdom you all might have on this issue.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 PM
dolittle
Veteran

Do a transmission filter a oil change adj. the bands. There is write up in the DIY section of this forum.
Good Luck

Old 02-04-2011, 06:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

did they use atf+4 when they did the fluid change??? if not that could be part of your problem

Old 02-04-2011, 11:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just had a fluid and filter change done a week ago due to another (probably related) issue.
Take it back!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Most likely the governor solenoid and transducer.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by master tech
Most likely the governor solenoid and transducer.
Are these expensive parts? Also, how difficult is the replacement? I don't see this mentioned in my Haynes manual. Is this something I could do in my driveway, or am I going to need to take it to a tranny shop?

Old 02-05-2011, 04:38 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Sharps: I can't say for certain what they put in, but I did specify that it needed ATF +4 when I took it in. The mechanic that worked on it has a pretty solid reputation around town, so my confidence is reasonably high that he used the right stuff (and that he would have known to use it even if I hadn't asked for it). Still, there is that possibility. I'll call up there in the morning and ask.

Hydra: Couple problems with taking it back. First, it's 30 miles away and currently has a top speed of about 10 mph. Paying for any repairs is already going to be a squeeze, adding a $100 tow on top of that would mean not feeding my kids this week. And then there's the fact that they're not a tranny shop, so they're just going to tow it to a tranny shop for diagnosis and repair, probably at my expense.

If I find out that they put the wrong fluid in, though, you'd better believe that I'm going to make it their responsibility to get the thing back on the road.

Last edited by coreybv; 02-05-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

This is the same thing that happened to my transmission in "The Mistress ", wouldn`t shift out of first.Wasn`t fluid, it was the clip holding overdrive that snapped in three, one piece wedged under shifter.......Not say it might be the same with yours , just saying maybe ...Pull pan check for metal clip pieces
and shavings

Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM
coreybv
Veteran

I've got the service manual downloaded, but I'm not near the vehicle at the moment.

With a 98 5.9, which transmission would I most likely have? I'm guessing the 46RE, but want to double check and make sure I'm reading the right information.

Some google searching on "durango won't shift out of 1st" turns up results that indicate people had this problem and solved it by replacing the speed sensor. It also appears that this sensor is on the list of possible suspects for my brake and ABS warning lights coming on intermittently. Given that it's a $17 part and something I can swap quickly where the truck sits, I think I'm going to give that a shot before I commit to dropping several hundred bucks at the tranny shop. Might work, might not, but seems like a worthwhile gamble.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

5.9 usually came w/ the 46, that is correct, yes the speed sensor on the transmission output shaft is associated with both of those problems,

Quick Reply: Won't shift out of 1st gear.