Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission problems/questions

Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 PM
brockrickerson2009
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems/questions

I have a 2005 dodge 3500 stock 48re auto transmission, If the speed sensor on the bottom of the tranny is plugged in It will not shift into 4th gear, and sometimes in 3rd gear it will randomly shift it self into a neutral position and just rev up. Now for the wierd part is if the speed sensor is unplugged it will shift into all gears fine if you let off the gas and let it shift almost like a manual. BUT if the gas light comes on it goes into limp mode so you cant go over 20 mph. I have taken it to the local dodge dealership and put over 20 hours of diagnostic time in. They replaced the speed sensor so I know thats not it.

My question was is I am at 190,000 miles and I was thinking in upgrading the tranny, I was wanting to go with a 6 speed but their is so much to doing that so now I am thinking of putting the 6 speed auto tranny in with the manual on the fly. If anyone has any information on doing something like that I would love to hear about it. or have any other good options let me know.

Any input would be awesome I am on my last leg with this truck

Last edited by brockrickerson2009; 02-08-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Let me move this over to the CTD section for more help possibly.

Welcome to the site

Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 PM
brockrickerson2009

Thank You, I need some major help. Has anyone even heard of anything like this happening? Yesterday the dealership called and said that it might have something to do with ether the alternator or maybe a weak ground on battery. Replace alternator and went threw the batteries and still NOTHING.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:48 PM
brockrickerson2009

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions to even try or even heard of anything like this. I am completely stumped and I cant afford any more diagnostic time at the dealership if they cant even tell me whats wrong

Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you made it 190k miles on the factory trans, you made out like a bandit.

I work with one of the best Dodge transmission guys in the region, and I'll try to remember to ask him about your question to see what he thinks.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
brockrickerson2009

I agree, I am ready to put a new one in, I was wanting a manual feature but now I am thinking just putting in a ats transmission stage 1 or 2. BUT what i dont want is to drop all this money into a tranny than it still doesnt shift right. It acts like its almost a computer problem or something like that becuase of the speed sensor problem like i described above I would like to get it shifting right before I drop a tranny into it. NOW if it is the tranny itself that is causing it I would be happy because thats all I have to do is put a new one in.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
brockrickerson2009

Originally Posted by horatio102
I think if you made it 190k miles on the factory trans, you made out like a bandit.

I work with one of the best Dodge transmission guys in the region, and I'll try to remember to ask him about your question to see what he thinks.

Thank you for the input and let me know what he says if you remember

Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice boat, by the way...

Ok so I showed him what you wrote and at first he thought it sounded like an internal seal leak, but then the thing about the fuel light turning on triggering limp mode he said that sounds more like a ground issue.

Without actually getting his hands on it though it's really hard to diagnose.

Has there been any other work done on it? I'd check for loose grounds or wires with broken insulation.

However, he did also agree with me that if you really got 190k miles on the stock 48RE you're doing WAY better than average, and it might be time to consider getting an aftermarket trans.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 AM
brockrickerson2009

Thank You for the input and askin that guy and the boat comment it has twin 454s pushing right at 750 hp

Ok, so where exactly should I be looking for loose grounds at the batteries everything seems tight I will go back through it this afternoon and see what is going on.

I just find it strange that with the sensor plugged in it shift hunts like crazy than when its unplugged it shifts just fine until the light comes on.

anyone have any suggestions on upgrades. I would like to stay as cheap as possible but still get the job done. Should I just look at rebuilding mine and putting upgrades in it, or should I just buy a whole new one. ATS tranny stage 2 is 4700$ with converter and billet. that seems like an awful lot. i really probably wont ever push more than 500-550 hp at max in the future. Looked at a suncoast for 2300$ but that didnt include converter or billet. So I am not a transmission guy so need some opinions!!

So if someone has any advice on transmission upgrades or new ones that would be great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission problems/questions