Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Temp gauge install help?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Spaceace182
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Transmission Temp gauge install help?

Anyone have any good websites I can go to our can you help me out? I have an a piller pod and an Transmission temp gauge I want to install on my 2008 ram 2500. I am new to this stuff so any help would greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:20 PM
brockrickerson2009

How I did mine what I got a 1/2 brass T and cut the cooling line coming back into the pan. Put compression fittings on them and put the T in between them. than on the T side put the sensor turned out pretty good, because you are getting the true reading of what is coming back off your cooler instead of whats in the pan In my opinion the pan is going to be way cooler than whats coming off their. also that way you dont have to mess around with tapping a hole in your pan and tig welding it which you can do that if thats the way you wanna go

Old 02-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Spaceace182

Ok that sounds great, forgive me for being a noob to this install stuff, but which line would be a the cooling line coming back into the pan on my transmission? I sure as hell don't want to cut the wrong line! LOL

Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brockrickerson2009
, because you are getting the true reading of what is coming back off your cooler instead of whats in the pan In my opinion the pan is going to be way cooler than whats coming off their.
not picking on ya, but thats not correct, the pan can/will be a lot hotter than the what the cooler is putting back in there, and using the hot side cooler line will be the hottest part you see but still be a bit hotter than whats in the pan, the most accurate place is the pan, or one of the plugs on the passenger side of the trans, or putting it in the hot side cooler line will all but garentee you will never overheat the fluid

Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Spaceace182

ok well thanks! Hey also can you help out just a bit more? I need to hook up the wires that go with this gauge. the install directions are pretty ***ue do you know what wires I can use under the dash or fuse box, for the direct 12volt power and indirect 12 volt power. I got the ground figured out and the other wire goes to the tranny temp sensor. It is a glow shift gauge. any help for this noob diesel guy would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Old 02-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Spaceace182

do you know what plug on the pan i istall the plug on?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Originally Posted by Spaceace182
ok well thanks! Hey also can you help out just a bit more? I need to hook up the wires that go with this gauge. the install directions are pretty ***ue do you know what wires I can use under the dash or fuse box, for the direct 12volt power and indirect 12 volt power. I got the ground figured out and the other wire goes to the tranny temp sensor. It is a glow shift gauge. any help for this noob diesel guy would be greatly appreciated! thanks
Are you asking about a constant and switched power source? Constant 12v would be right on the Positive battery terminal (using an inline fuse holder) and to find a switched 12v source grab a test light or a DMM and check your fuses with the ignition off and then on. When you find one that has power only with the key on then use a fuse tap on the HOT side of the fuse. To find the hot side again use your test light or DMM.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 PM
duhameister

Originally Posted by Spaceace182
Sounds like you have a lot of questions and you've never done anything like this before. Make sure you do your homework before you "T" your tranny lines. Run the constant straight off the battery fuses and the ignition wire can be ran too anything that comes on with your key i.e...lighter or a 12v cell charger outlet. The rest is pretty easy. I think the best bet is to find yourself a 1/8" NPT fitting and pull the readings right from the tranny side wall. You get good constant readings and it doesn't require you to cut the cooler lines.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:28 PM
brockrickerson2009

I was a little jumbled with all that, I did mine going to the cooler not coming from the cooler, and what comes off the tranny is almost guaranteed to be hotter than what is in your pan.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Spaceace182

OK well I am not cutting lines, and just so you know, I have talked with several different people and all have said that the 2008 dodge stopped putting test plugs on the transmission. So it gives you limited options!!! cut the cooling line, buy an after market pan or tap the OEM pan. F%#King BS, damn why does this have to be so hard!!?!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Temp gauge install help?