2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2000 Neon Clutch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
dyeager535
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Neon Clutch Problem?

Hi!

I have a friend with a problem which I suspect to be the clutch cable.

It is hard for him to get it into first gear. This is only when the car is stopped. No problems in any other gears with shifting. If you continuously "bump" the shifter against first gear, it will eventually go in.

Other symptom is that with the clutch pedal to the floor, there is enough clutch apply that the car will start moving backwards with the shifter in reverse. Can't really feel that the clutch is dragging, but that has to be what it is, as far as I can theorize.

This problem did not "all of a sudden" develop, after someone working on it or anything, it just gradually developed to where it is now. Does not seem to be getting worse.

Previous attempt at a fix was the "shift cable" bushings, and we made sure the shifter is adjusted correctly in the car.

I understand this year uses a cable for the clutch, so I expect it is likely the cable simply stretches over time. Is there an adjustment designed for the cable, or is it a replacement only proposition? Anyone else experienced this, or have an idea different than mine as to the cause?

Thanks!

Edit: I did search the forum, unfortunately there were hundreds if not thousands of posts, however none that I saw mentioned this problem particularly.

Last edited by dyeager535; 02-16-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would try replacing the gear oil in the transmission to ATF and i found this in the dodge manual on the clutch cable.
CLUTCH CABLE
The clutch cable assembly Clutch Cable Assembly carries the movement of the clutch pedal to the clutch release bearing. The cable is designed to maintain tension against the clutch fork, or lever, and has a built in self-adjusting mechanism, which compensates for clutch disc wear

Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect something is jambed, probably one of the hub springs has broken and is causing this problem

Old 02-19-2011, 02:43 PM
dyeager535

Originally Posted by master tech
I would try replacing the gear oil in the transmission to ATF and i found this in the dodge manual on the clutch cable.
CLUTCH CABLE
The clutch cable assembly Clutch Cable Assembly carries the movement of the clutch pedal to the clutch release bearing. The cable is designed to maintain tension against the clutch fork, or lever, and has a built in self-adjusting mechanism, which compensates for clutch disc wear
I apologize, I'm diagnosing this from afar, so I don't have access to the car or owners manual. What will be the fluid in the trans if it's original? Switching fluid must be a common procedure if so?

I appreciate the info from the manual, it would be nice if they explained where the self adjuster was, so we could check and see if it's run out of adjustment!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:44 PM
dyeager535

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
I suspect something is jambed, probably one of the hub springs has broken and is causing this problem
A hub spring? I'm unfamiliar with this term, is that within the trans, or? (edit: or one of the springs in the clutch disk...?)

I appreciate the responses!

Last edited by dyeager535; 02-19-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:34 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 AM
blacksunshine05
Professional

Originally Posted by dyeager535
Hi!

I have a friend with a problem which I suspect to be the clutch cable.

It is hard for him to get it into first gear. This is only when the car is stopped. No problems in any other gears with shifting. If you continuously "bump" the shifter against first gear, it will eventually go in.

Other symptom is that with the clutch pedal to the floor, there is enough clutch apply that the car will start moving backwards with the shifter in reverse. Can't really feel that the clutch is dragging, but that has to be what it is, as far as I can theorize.

This problem did not "all of a sudden" develop, after someone working on it or anything, it just gradually developed to where it is now. Does not seem to be getting worse.

Previous attempt at a fix was the "shift cable" bushings, and we made sure the shifter is adjusted correctly in the car.

I understand this year uses a cable for the clutch, so I expect it is likely the cable simply stretches over time. Is there an adjustment designed for the cable, or is it a replacement only proposition? Anyone else experienced this, or have an idea different than mine as to the cause?

Thanks!

Edit: I did search the forum, unfortunately there were hundreds if not thousands of posts, however none that I saw mentioned this problem particularly.
I bolded what I noticed interesting. If this is happening then it is the Clutch Pivot Fork or Throw Out Bearing. Over time the clutch pivot fork will wear out. There are two thin pieces that over time, these two points wear down, and it doesnt fully depress the clutch anymore. This causes issues with putting your car into gear, and with making the engagement point of the clutch too low.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:38 PM
dyeager535

Thanks to both of you!

I'll let him know, but I suspect inspecting the clutch fork or clutch itself isn't a real easy job? He doesn't do any of the work himself, unfortunately I don't know as he's found a reliable shop yet either, and I know how hard that is.

Quick Reply: 2000 Neon Clutch Problem?