3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS indicator and Ebrake indicator stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 AM
03celicagts
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS indicator and Ebrake indicator stuck on

Was on a date and driving a girl home tonight and the E-brake and ABS indicator suddenly came on. After I droppped her off I found a nice straight icey road and locked the brakes...ABS is still working fine, and Im not one of those dumb asses that drives around with the parking brake on. When I got home I turned the truck off then turned it back on, and those two indicators came back on to.

Could it just be the cold weather? Its about -25C out right now. My dodge sits during the week, b/c I use my company truck.

Any ideas?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:52 PM
03celicagts
Professional

Well, checked out the brake lines, and ebrake cables, disconnected the battery then reconected then fired up the truck and the indicators stayed on. So I tested out the abs on the ice today, then got up to about 40km/h bumped it into N and hit the ebrake. Soon as I did that it chimed and the parking brake symbol in the gauage cluster flashed. The parking brake brought the truck to a stop Then when I disengaged the abs and parking brake indicator went off. I took the truck for a road test on the hwy, and around town. All seems to be good. Shut the truck off and turned it back on and all is good. I dunno why the indicators even came on in the first place??

Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe a loose or corroded sensor or wire at the harness on one of the sensors??

Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM
JDG103
Veteran

i had the same problem this morning....i pulled over turned the truck off then back on..and it went away...i have no idea what would cause it to do that either...gonna check out everything tomorrow when i change out my rear diff. fluid

Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM
musicallydeclind

Originally Posted by JDG103
i had the same problem this morning....i pulled over turned the truck off then back on..and it went away...i have no idea what would cause it to do that either...gonna check out everything tomorrow when i change out my rear diff. fluid
Next time that the idiot lights illuminate pull off and check your brake lights outside the truck.

A week ago, I had the Brake Light and ABS lights come on along with the "Something's wrong" chime as I was going down the highway. The cruise wouldn't engage after this so I killed the truck in neutral and popstarted it shortly there after and they both had gone away but came back every trip thereafter a few miles in. I checked the fluids but all was good. The truck is an '08 and still under warranty so I just took it to the dealer thinking it was a speed sensor. Turns out it through a code P0703 which referred them to the brake switch down at the pedal which was, in fact, shot. They swapped it out for free in a matter of minutes but it shouldn't be much more than $20.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 AM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is your brake stop lamp switch. Change it and everything will work fine. I just had it done at the dealership and it is covered under warrenty if you have it.

Red

Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Yeah I pulled my dash out and had to fix mine. Once it messes up it causes the two lights to kick on and your brake lights dont work. Also really bad if you use a trailer brake.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Veibz
Professional

Change abs sensor on rear differential. Cost $35 at local auto part store and takes 20 minutes. ....Worked for me. Not saying it WILL fix your problem, but it did fix mine. for $35 it was a risk worth taking

Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM
03celicagts
Professional

Mines an 06 no more warranty Well good to know they are cheap parts to replace.

My truck does have a trailer brake.....

But since Sunday I've had no problems but if those indicators come on again I got some ideas where to look for sure

Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 PM
JDG103
Veteran

hey music...in matter of fact my brake switch has been acting up and i thought that was prob causing the lights to come one...im actully replacing it next week when i get paid...part only cost $10 at orielly's

Quick Reply: ABS indicator and Ebrake indicator stuck on